SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Do you like Taco Bell?

stir_fryi SE Mich
13 years ago

I am feeling bad for the company and its employees because this lawsuit is bad for their image.

What their claiming is in their taco filling doesn't sound any different than when I cook ground beef and home and add packaged taco seasoning -- big deal!

Funny enough, when I tell my kids we are having tacos they are always disappointed to learn that I am making them, not Taco Bell!

Comments (53)

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

I like taco bell. I just get the crunchy tacos or sometimes an order of nacho's. That doesn't mean I go often. Maybe twice a year. I eat a lot of taco's.....homemade....and although TB is cheap....at 99 cents a taco....I can make probably 6 for that price and mine are better LOL.

There is a McDonalds 3 houses down and across the street from me which I have visited probably 4-5 times in 13 years living here.

Now...if it was a Taco Bell....probably a different story!

I always wondered why Mc-ee-dees didn't offer taco's. It's just shells and they have everything else already.

Of course..my favorite Wendy's item of mine was a limited offer 20 years ago...a Chicago style hot dog! Awesome! ...discontinued...bummer.

Duane

• caliloo
    13 years ago

I am not a fan either. My DH and one son LOVE it and I can usually find something to eat, but it wouldn;t be my first choice. Needless to say, I don;t think of it as Mexican either, just another flavor of fast food.

And I don't find their "meat" any more or less offensive than learning that most of the fast food burger joints use the scraps from the slaughterhouse floor and "sterilize" them with ammonia and grind them into a paste that is mixed with ground beef in the effort to eliminate e.coli. Of course, it isn;t comforting that most school lunch programs use the same product.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Safety of Beef Processing Method Is Questioned

• Related Discussions

How do you heat taco shells?

Q

Comments (5)
    If I have a crunchy taco - which is rare, I love to fry the tortilla in a pan on the stove. It's pretty much the ONLY thing I fry - try to stay away from fried foods. But this is soooooo good. I fry one side, then flip it over and bend it into taco shell shape with tongs and finish frying. Drain on paper towel then load it up. Yum Yum!
    ...See More

The found of Taco Bell

Q

Comments (11)
    Taco Bell is headquartered in the city I live in. The company I worked for in 1973 was right next door to Taco Bell's headquarters. It was a small, modest Spanish style building on a street called Red Hill. Many years later, when I worked for another company, Taco Bell had moved its headquarters to Main Street. It was walking distance from my office. It was a very nice high rise that had a great cafeteria open to the public. I used to eat lunch there about once a week. Excellent food, prices and ambiance. A portions of one of my favorite films, Demolition Man with Sandra Bullock, Wesley Snipes and Sylvester Stallon was shot there. In this humorous futuristic movie, Taco Bell wins the only fast food contract and everyone covets a chance to dine there. The restaurant is quite elaborate with snooty waiters, candles and cloth tablecloths. Funny movie. RIP Mr Bell. Thanks for thinking outside the bun. Jodi-
    ...See More

Friday's Random Questions..................

Q

Comments (13)
    Do you know anyone with the same birthday as you?If so who? ** Date, yes, a friend's child. But not the same year. But I about a year ago I met someone in my town with the same first/middle name as me who was born the same year as me, and has 4 kids, too! Are you afraid of bugs? ** I used to be phobic, especially spiders. But as a mom that was not acceptable to me so I trained myself out of the panic-fear. I didn't want my kids to learn that from me. When is the next time you think you are going to a movie? ** Well, since the next Harry Potter movie has been postponed from November to next July, it might be that long. I know the whole family will go to that. It's possible I won't see a movie until then, it's just not my favorite pasttime. What is one thing that always needs to be in the fridge? ** Milk or cream for my coffee. Do you eat whip cream straight out of the can? ** Only when no one is watching. Which do you like better Taco Bell or Olive Garden? ** Olive Garden, mostly b/c it's not fast food. I haven't been to one in years, though, and I don't think I've ever been to a Taco Bell. I like Mexican food, but when I want it I want it served by someone speaking Spanish. ;o) (OK, well, that probably happens at Taco Bell, too.) On a tortilla chip, do you like salsa or cheese? ** SALSA! Spicy and thin, "restaurant style." And I love it! My most favorite snack food. Another reason I want a real Mexican restaurant, salsa served with those warm, thin, crispy chips. MMMM!
    ...See More

Tacos? You like them?

Q

Comments (12)
    My favorite tacos are "puffy tacos." The shells are made with masa harina...like you'd use for tamales. When fried, they puff up. Flour tortillas will puff up some too, when fried, but these are much lighter and crisper. The Krogers here sell masa tortillas. That makes it much easier to make them because when I made them myself, I had trouble making the tortillas, although I can make flour tortillas. I don't think I'd care for fish or shrimp tacos. I like traditional ground beef that I cook with bell peppers, onions, and cumin seeds.
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    13 years ago

There is a class action lawsuit about the 35% meat taco filling..... flavored what?

I'll make my taco's at home.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Taco Bell on The Early Show

• lindac
    13 years ago

If I want fast junk food Mexican, I go to Taco John....a chain mostly in the midwest and much better to my taste that Taco bell.
    Linda C

• User
    13 years ago

I used to like it, and probably still would, except for that little food poisoning incident a couple of years ago.

I was reading about their "meat" filling, I have to say, I don't expect much more from most fast food places, so I'm not surprised.

• slowlane
    13 years ago

I like Taco Bell ok; I just don't like ground meat. I would never, ever, eat any ground meat product anywhere other than my own home (not at anyone else's home; just mine). Two or three times a year, I buy very high quality meat, handle it carefully, and make a burger or something.

I stopped eating fast food ground meat years ago when I got sick of biting into a burger and biting, instead, bone chips.

Now, when I eat at Taco Bell, I get toastadas or bean burritos or something else without meat. At other fast food places, on the very rare occasions I'm forced to eat there, I get salads, potatoes, or something else without meat or at least chicken based (although considering the arsenic and and all, that's not much better--at least arsenic doesn't crunch in my teeth). One of the things I like about Taco Bell is that I can get quite a few meat-free options, and they are usually willing to make pretty much anything on the menu without meat if I ask.

• gardengal19
    13 years ago

I heard on TV yesterday that TB uses donkey.

You know, 'burro-itos'!

Hope they were just joking. lol

• nancylouise5me
    13 years ago

From what I have watched on TV it is that TB is not complying with Federal standards as to the percentage of real beef in their tacos. The government requires at least 40% beef, TB wasn't even using that much beef. Only 30-35%. That is what the lawsuit is about false advertising. Don't care for Taco Bell either. Stay away from majority of fast food. Don't care for the "Pink Slime" they use for fillers. That stuff is just nasty. NancyLouise

• lyndaluu2
    13 years ago

It's fast food...not good for you...make them at home so easy.
    Much cheaper too!!!

Linda

• grainlady_ks
    13 years ago

When I was a teen I worked at a taco joint and we added a lot of oatmeal to the meat mixture. We started calling it a "breakfast meat" (LOL). That was about the same time they were adding a lot of TVP to ground beef. Now you know why the meat mixture is slow-cooked and well-seasoned. If a taco joint has a special on tacos on a certain day of the week, you can bet there is very little meat in the mix on those days.

-Grainlady

• Terri_PacNW
    13 years ago

I thought it was TVP....Doesn't Jack In the Box use TVP for their "taco" meat too?

• triciae
    13 years ago

Remember back in the 60s when Jack In The Box was owned by Purina? I always thought it made sense...based on the appearance of Jack's tacos! rofl That said, there's 'something' about a Jack In The Box taco...ya either love 'em or hate 'em, that's for sure!

/tricia

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I don't care what they put in them as long as it's not cat or dog :-)

They taste good, I am never going to make them at home, it's called fast food for a reason, and I can eat a taco in the car while driving somewhere.
    I don't expect fast food to meet any nutritional or gourmet needs and the price is right.
    What's to analyze?

The worst food poisoning I ever had was at home btw.

• katefisher
    13 years ago

We don't eat much fast food. Papa Murphy's, that's about it. However if we lived near a Taco Time I'm sure we would give them a lot of business. I used to have one around the corner from my apartment in Spokane, WA and I will admit, I loved it. Taco Bell never really had the same appeal to me. Go figure.

Kate

• lowspark
    13 years ago

I used to eat there somewhat frequently in the old days. Frito Burrito Supreme and Double Decker Taco Supreme, please. That was years ago and I don't think they make the frito one anymore, not sure about the double decker. Last time I went there is probably more than 10 years ago. Primarily because I just don't eat fast food anymore.

And when I do... I'm a sucker for Jack In the Box tacos. I know they are probably THE worst fast food item on earth. I mean, what can possibly be in them that JitB can make a profit selling them two for $1? But what can I say? Once every year or two or so, I got through the drive through and talk to the clown. It's a weakness.

If Taco Bell were closer, I might opt for a meal there once in a while, who knows. Like Duane, I have a McD's spittin' distance from my house. Never go there.

• loagiehoagie
    13 years ago

Bone chips...ah yes. Never had the 'pleasure' at Taco Bell but I used to always get one at White Castle. Always hoped it was in the last burger and not the first one or I would be too grossed out to eat anymore after that 'chip'. Haven't had that happen in awhile. They must have adjusted the saw that scrapes the horse hooves not so close as before.

Fast food isn't necessarily cheap anymore either. We have a few decent places that are much better quality and about the same price...i.e. Culvers and Steak 'n Shake. Always heard Chick Fila (sp?) was good but we don't have that here in Michigan.

Duane

• angelaid
    13 years ago

Love their chicken soft taco about once a year.
    The suit isn't about adding seasoning to the beef. It's about the fact that the "ground beef" advertised is 65% FILLER and only 35% BEEF.

• jessyf
    13 years ago

[May - make room for me to sit beside you with my McD's Filet-O-Fish]

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Nope, don't eat there. My girls have always referred to it as "Toxic He!!", LOL.

I don't care whether it's 35% or 40% beef, it's not good beef anyway, no matter the proportion and I think, frankly, I'd rather eat more of the fake stuff in that instance.

I just don't like it, though, and so I never go there. We do have another fast food type Mexican restaurant here, Qdoba, and it's OK, I've eaten there once in the 6 years since they've opened.

My guilty splurge is an A&W chili cheese dog. About once a year, with a frosty mug of rootbeer to wash it down.

Annie

• dawnp
    13 years ago

I worked at Taco Bell for a total of forur years during high school and then college.

In those days, they used to have the meat delivered by a local meat company and then we cooked it in the restaurant and added the seasonings. I believe it was all meat. Things have probably changed. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I always thought while working there that the food was like homemade. Everything was made there - shells were fried, beans came in a giant bag raw, were cleaned and cooked, vegetables were fresh etc etc.

I still like Taco Bell but don't really eat beef so I stick with the chicken or beans.

• lowspark
    13 years ago

Yeah Jessy! And Annie! I guess we all have our secret indulgences, huh?

Oh yeah, Chic-fil-A is really good fast food. I do go there maybe 3-4 times a year. What's good is that they give you a real chicken breast that you can tell is a real chicken breast. It's not chicken that's been shredded and then mechancially glued back together again to form perfectly stamped out shapes. And it's tasty.

But I agree, fast food is not cheap anymore! That was, actually, part of the reason I quit going there when the kids were small. I realized I was spending way too much for a dinner for four that was basically carp. If we're going to eat carp, I can do it myself for much cheaper than that!

• doucanoe
    13 years ago

Of all the fast food restaurants available, the only one I really ever stop at is Taco Bell, and that's maybe 3 times a year at the most. If I am away from home, REALLY hungry and don't have a lot of cash with me, it works.

All I ever order is a plain hard-shell taco and a chili cheese burrito. For less than $3 it's lunch.

I have a devil of a time eating a taco while driving, tho! Very messy!

But yes....I do prefer tacos made in my own kitchen!

Linda

• bcskye
    13 years ago

I eat a Taco Bell Burrito Supreme with extra sour cream several times a year and enjoy every single bite of it. Years ago I use to enjoy their taco salad, but dread the thought of them since I started making my own at home.

Oh, I love Culvers' Rueben Basket and we go to Steak and Shake every so often when we've been shopping and its late.

• goldgirl
    13 years ago

dawnp - Taco Bell was my very first job as a high school kid back in the 1970s! I remember stirring those giant vats of beans and standing in the walk-in freezer a lot because I'm so sensitive to onions. Back in those days, we chopped everything by hand. Wonder if everything comes pre-chopped now?

Sue

• countrygal_905
    13 years ago

My kids like Taco Bell, but refer to it as Toxic Smell (the after affects)! I avoid it myself.

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

I went to TB near Disney; ordered a taco. I received it, opened i, and screamed "ewww, maggots!". The manager ran out to the dining room (which was full) to quiet me down by explaining that it was rice. I said "oh okay, but hey I didn't order a rice taco".

• lakeguy35
    13 years ago

Taco Bueno is my fave...don't care for Taco Bell. I remember Taco John's from my younger days. Back then there was some kind of rumor about their meat too. Have to a agree that chick-fil-a is a decent and good sandwich for what it is. To be honest Taco Bueao and KFC are the only fixes I need every great now and then or when traveling. McDonalds fries used to be a big hit but they changed the oil and now they are not as good. Their sausage biscuit is okay for me. One last one would be a Wendy's Frosty with a side of fries to dip in and eat. It's been years for that one though....maybe for lunch tomorrow now that y'all started all this FF talk.

David

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Goldgirl - Yes! 70's for me too - in Florida.

Yes, Giant vats of beans and chopping oinions and going into the freezer to get away from that burn! I think of that every time I cut onions :)

Too funny.

• cynic
    13 years ago

Occasionally I like it. Not a regular part of the diet but it's fine for the occasional quick fix. An old GF was addicted to the place.

• rachelellen
    13 years ago

Just because something is alleged in a lawsuit, it is not automatically FACT. Taco Bell's official statement is that the taco filling is 88% beef, the rest being seasonings, oats, water, sugar & citric. Of course, if you Google up Taco Bell, you'll find plenty of stories about what the lawsuit alleges, but not too many containing Taco Bell's response. This is why so many businesses settle out of court...negative publicity creates memes in the mind of the public that can be very expensive to the company. The lawsuit could be dismissed or ruled in favor of Taco Bell tomorrow, and there would still be millions of Americans convinced that Taco Bell beef is 65% fillers no matter what they say or do.

• ci_lantro
    13 years ago

Have to have a TB Burrito Supreme fix every couple of months. I also like the Taco Bell brand of taco seasoning. Mostly, I season my own tacos because the premixed seasonings are expensive compared to making your own.

T-Bell, Burger King & Arby's are about the only fast food places that we go to and not very often now that the kids are out of high school & we're not traveling for hockey anymore and because the hubster has to watch the sodium.

The first & last time that I went to Taco John's and the first & last time I ate a taco salad in a restaurant was 24 years ago. Was pregnant with DS1 and we were traveling--went into the Elk City, OK, Taco John's. The taco salad that I ordered was dripping with chili colored grease. Grease was pooled in the bottom of the tortilla shell and running out all over the place. Powerful first impression.

• User
    13 years ago

There is only one Taco Bell that I am aware of here on the Island. It is in Nanaimo and not just around the corner. Which is a good thing, because if it was local I might be tempted to indulge in a Taco Supreme on a regular basis.

I think we have had Taco Bell once in the last four years. But I've made Taco Bell style tacos a couple of times recently. They are simple to make at home, with real beef and it is the type of meal I can make in less than an hour after getting home from work.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Tacos

• goldgirl
    13 years ago

Dawnp - That is too funny! If you live on the East Coast, we should arrange a Taco Bell reunion LOL!!!!

My favorite back in the day was the Enchirito with red sauce. Don't think they make them anymore.

Sue

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Ann T, I don't think I've had a taco in at least four years, and that includes those made at home.

I do really like those green stacked enchiladas of yours, though, so I don't make them very often either. It's the only way I'll eat a corn tortilla that hasn't been fried crispy.

Annie

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

Fast food sells because it tastes good and is fast! If people didn't like it, they would go out of business. It's good and maybe even better than home made depending on who is making the home made stuff.

We love KFC (original recipe). I have tried and tried to make chicken like that and just plain can't. No don't send any more recipes that taste like it -- THEY DON'T. Taco Bell is like that also. If you like it, you go there. If not you don't.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I don't often eat fast food, but when I do I head to McD's or Wendy's. I never go to Taco Bell. Now we have Chipotle Mexican Grill for fast Mexican. Doesn't have a drive-thru and the food quality is better than other fast food places. It used to be owned by McDonalds. Lots of people seem to like it. I ate there once and wasn't impressed.

�Yo quiero Taco Bell! -- not.

• Terrapots
    13 years ago

Running late last week I drove in there for a soft chicken taco and a soft beef (not ground) taco. Dont go there often but always liked their simple tacos and bean burritos, nothing else. Well that was the last time. The beef taco sure didn't look like beef, it was yellow and dark meat bits, never seen beef like that. The chicken didn't look at all like or taste like chicken. I wish I had just returned them and gone home to eat cold cereal, never again. I think they use some kind of soy product instead of meat. There's a lot better food offered at the taco trucks around here but I don't like going there alone or late in the day.

• annie1992
    13 years ago

carmen grower, I think the trick with Kentucky Fried Chicken isn't in the ingredients, it's in the method. A million years ago I worked in a fried chicken joint and we had big pressure fryers that we cooked the chicken in. It's something I can't replicate at home.

So, those recipes are posted all over the internet, "just like KFC". Not unless you have one of those big pressure fryers, it isn't.

Of course, since I worked in a chicken joint all the way through high school, I don't want anything to do with it now, just the smell puts me off. Good thing, I guess.

Annie

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

DH went to college in Texas and was served Mexican food once a week. We didn't have any Mexican restaurants here at that time so I had to learn to make Mexican dishes. My family quickly got on a taco kick and DD would request tacos for her birthday dinner. I still make them when I want to do something special for DH.

• Rusty
    13 years ago

One of our Grandson's used to like Taco Bell.
    We'd go there every now & then,
    As a treat for him.

I didn't much care for it,
    But there was a Nacho dish I kind of liked.
    I don't remember what it was he liked so well,
    Some sort of Burrito, I think.

Anyhow, he used to ask if we could go to the "Fake Food"
    drive-in.

Rusty

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

Guess I'm a food snob and I'm bringing my kids up the same way.

We never eat at fast food restaurants and we NEVER EAT IN THE CAR. I'll probably get some flack for this but I believe mindless eating, in other words eating when you are doing some thing else, whether it be watching tv, driving or reading, and when you cannot savor your food, leads to weight problems.

• Lars
    13 years ago

I grew up eating tacos and tortillas, but not from fast food restaurants. Here in L.A., I like El Abajeno in Mar Vista (typical family style Mexican), and there are plenty of regional Mexican restaurants here (especially Oaxacan) that I like, and even a couple of Yucatecan restaurants. Yucatecan food is my favorite in Mexico, and Oaxacan (especially in Oaxaca) is low on the list, but I'm able to find some exceptions. MacArthur Park is a good place to find tamales, and there are several local companies that make gourmet tamales that I like, but they can get expensive.

I don't know that much about Taco Bell, except that it began in California and I think has food that is similar to Tex-Mex. Growing up in Texas I went to locally owned Mexican restaurants - I don't remember chain Mexican restaurants from when I was a child, but that was forever ago. I'm almost never in a hurry to get food - there are some things (actually quite a few) that I do not rush.

Lars

• John Liu
    13 years ago

If I was hungry, and was in a town with one of every fast food restaurant but none of any other eating place - which pretty much describes places like Grapevine, CA - my preference would be: #1 Carls Jr, #2 KFC, #3 I can't think of it. I actually like the burgers at Carls Jr, and KFC is a guilty pleasure. I probably have the former 4X year and the latter 1X. I will say that I've been quite sickish twice after partaking of KFC, which is why it is only 1X. Taco Bell is pretty far down my list.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

There is a one page color ad in this morning's newspaper placed by Taco Bell defending their meat filling. The headline says Thank You for Suing Us.

It gives detailed info about the filling. Says the filling is 88 percent USDA beef and 12 percent Secret Recipe, which is 3 percent water, spices (4 percent) and oats, sugar, yeast, citric acid, etc (5 percent).

Here's an article from NPR, too. Taco Bell fights back!

Here is a link that might be useful: Taco Bell fights Back

• cookie8
    13 years ago

When I was in my late teens I used to love Taco Bell. I babysat my nephew a lot and one of his first words was Taco Bell. I haven't had it in years as my metabolism isn't what it used to be so I keep away from a lot of that. Plus I like cooking so make most of our meals at home.

• BeverlyAL
    13 years ago

I used to like their Taco's okay. In recent years in my area they have started only putting one tablespoon of beef into each Taco shell and omitting either the tomatoes or lettuce half of the time. For that reason I don't go there anymore.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

We rarely eat out......anywhere and TB sure isn't first on the list when we do.
    That said, I'd stop if I was just starving and happened to drive by one, but the only fast food I'll even drive a few blocks for is Burger King. A Whopper is a once a year-ish guilty pleasure. I can find "something" at McD's if I have to. We have several small Mexican restaurants and if I want Mexican, I'd rather give them my business.

The lawsuit doesn't surprise me, I don't think there's much in the way of fast food that can really be considered healthy. It's getting better with some salad, fruit and vegetarian options, but still........
    I'd rather cook at home and know exactly what is in my food.

Deanna

• Christy Bell
    13 years ago

Don't eat there - ever. Had a bad story in the news about the location we went to many years ago. Can't get past it. We don't eat much fast food anyway.

• sally2_gw
    13 years ago

May, although I've never eaten or seen a Jack in the Box taco, I just can't believe it's worse than a McD's hamburger.

I am one that just can't stand most fast food. It's yucky. I don't know how people can eat that stuff. That being said, I will, on rare occasions, stop at whatever fast food Mexican place is handy while traveling, and pick up a bean and cheese burrito, which is easy-ish to eat while driving. No, I don't normally eat in the car, but when on a road trip, it saves time.

I guess I'm one of the rare few that purposely eats soy products instead of beef!

Sally

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I do like Taco Bell tacos.