SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

Intro to Windows7 and computer transfer?

chas045
12 years ago

My wife is really tired of our 10? yr old slow computer; Win xp pro sp3, Office 2003. To save money but still have Office, I have purchased a used upgraded Dell Vostro200 desktop with win 7 ultimate and office 2010. It has a pentium dual core E6500 chip @ 2.93 GHz, 2 gig mem. and 148 GB drive. It is wrapped up for Christmas.

For her to accept/appreciate this machine, I am going to need to be generally up to speed on Windows 7. It 'appears' to be very different from xp. I only had a couple minutes of poorly moving around it when I bought it, and a few more at home before I wrapped it up and didn't learn much. I didn't learn much more going to Microsoft. I was hoping for a site explaining 'you click 'here' with 7 instead of 'there' with xp because 'here' is quicker/more logical; and then you have to do 'this' just like you did 'that' with xp except....' etc.

Do you folks know of such a site, or a different useful approach, a youtube demo for example, for us LONG time xp users? I imagine that there is a way to make 7 look like xp but I suppose instead we should all "get with the new program"

Second question: Previously we have had three windows machines and each was upgraded from the last by a 'personal friend professional' or a professional. In this case, I am hoping to do it myself. I have observed that there appears to be a Win7 routine to transfer stuff from an old machine. Will that actually move all of my old data and other programs to the new machine for me? Or how do I go about this? I do have a wifi running and this new machine has a usb wifi receiver; or I imagine I probably have cables if needed.

I also have Acronis True Image Home 2009 Backup program running on the old machine into an external drive if that might be useful either for its existing backups or something else. What I don't have is program disks for either win7 or office10. The original owner kept those. This machine was originally loaded with Vista.

Comments (8)