SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
premio53

My first impressions of Freespire

premio53
17 years ago

I started running Freespire about a week ago and have found it to be an excellent replacement for an everyday user of Windows. Let me say that I have no ill feelings for Bill Gates or Microsoft because I believe any man has a right to be successful and certainly Mr. Gates has done that by making computers accessible to the average person.

Having said that, I also believe competition is good and brings about a better product and better prices. After my house burned a few years ago (I lost everything) I had a new PC built because they are easier to keep upgraded and have been using Windows 2000 Professional since that time. Like many, my daughter was given an older computer running Windows ME and wanted to upgrade to be able to run more updated software. I can't legally put my operating system on her computer without breaking the agreement and I have priced Windows XP for around $200 dollars. So if one has three computers in the house (which isn't that unusual these days) it would cost several hundred dollars just to upgrade Microsoft Windows legally.

Along comes Linux. Certainly it has a well deserved reputation for being geek friendly and up till recently the average computer user would not be able to easily run such a program without spending an enormous amount of time trying to learn the commands involved. With Freespire, I had it installed in about ten minutes and was surfing the internet. That is no exaggeration!

Along with the installation I got just about everything I need to do the normal things I use a computer for such as DVD player, CD/DVD burner and ripper, Open Office (equivalent to Microsoft Word), Real Player, Mozilla browser, and tons of utilities. For equivalent Linux Linspire programs check this out:

www.linspirenetwork.com/Support/ComparablePrograms.htm

The ClickNRun feature is now free and offers thousands of programs that can be downloaded and installed with one click of the mouse. I thought it was interesting that only one antivirus program was listed and no firewall (my computer passed the Shields Up Test with flying colors). The only thing that I couldn't get to work was my Lexmark printer and I understand that Lexmark has never been Linux friendly as far as supplying drivers. I will probably get a new Epson or HP to replace the Lexmark.

There are also other Linux programs that must be paid for and offer full support (Linspire is supposed to be more "polished" and offer more applications) so people have a choice.

The only thing I am having a problem with is trying to install third party applications (sudo this and that), but I expect that will be taken care of in due time. I would encourage anyone who would like to be able to upgrade an older operating system without spending a substantial amount of hard earned money to check out one of the free Linux systems. By the way, I am running Windows 2000 Pro as well as Freespire on the same computer with no problems. Regards.

Comments (4)