SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thapranksta

Shinseiki Asian Pear - First Harvest and Impression

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was able to harvest my first set of Shinseiki Asian pears this year. During the past 3 weeks, bugs and squirrels decided to start moving in on them and they weren't getting any sweeter as I grabbed one at least every other day. I didn't want to keep pressing my luck.

A few observations:

1) Early and midseason insect pests in Middle TN don't seem to bother the Asian pears much. If there is any insect damage visible, the fruit seems to heal pretty quickly and the insects apparently don't make a home inside the fruit.

2) Japanese beetles (JBs) apparently appear much later in the season when they are harvest-able and will eat them. I witnessed at least 2 fruit that had either split on their own or were split by the beetles and they were covered in the green and copper colored bugs. One of them was just about an empty shell because almost all the flesh was gone. Wow.

3) This tree produces a lot of fruit and becomes productive quite fast. I planted this tree in 2012. Last year, I had my first fruit set which turned into a dozen pear - all except one were stolen by squirrels. This year, I easily had an estimated 40 or 50. I did thin early but not aggressively enough. I should have removed much more off of the tree for larger fruit.

4) I was hoping that the taste would improve as they sat on the tree for longer and longer but I didn't notice much of a difference in taste as the weeks went by. They were crisp and I knew they would not be a tart fruit but I was hoping for more sweetness. Perhaps I picked them too early still. Fresh eating isn't bad but it is a little boring with this fruit.

Does anyone have a recipe they could share? I am thinking of removing this tree possibly and putting a new Asian Pear in it's place. I like it's pest resistance and it has become a little bit of a staple in my yard but I was really looking for better fruit.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County