SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

My Blue Star is here -- first impressions

sayde
13 years ago

My Blue Star arrived yesterday. Now it is in place in the kitchen. But not operational yet. Wanted to share first impressions, because I got so much great information on this site, and before I bought mine I would have welcomed having this kind of information.

On balance -- thus far -- I'm really pleased. But there are a couple of concerns.

The Blue Star came in a thin box. (The Miele DW and SO that arrived the same day came in thick crates.) The cardboard on the Blue Star had a gouge in it and and when we took it off we found that the range had a ding in its side. The other side had a dent. Now may-be I should make a fuss about this, but frankly I just don't care enough. They are small and totally hidden when installed.

Then, we opened the oven and discovered that the gliding rack was busted. It is held together with welds and the welds on one side totally failed. I emailed the dealer and within the hour had a response that the dealer would be ordering a replacement for me. Hard to beat that for responsiveness.

Curious that parts of the range had protective plastic on the SS and parts did not. OK. Just noting

Was told that if it is a V-1 that would be in the serial number. And that all RNB's are now V-1. Well, the serial number inside the stove is not V-1. The label on the external cardboard said IT30V1 installed-- so it looks like they took an older hulk and updated it.

However, I was told that the V-1 solved the problem of the sticking hinges by running the gasket between the hinges and the oven, to protect them from heat. The gasket on my range runs along outside the hinges. So I am somewhat concerned and will have to be very careful about keeping the hinges lubricated.

I do have the split drip tray, the new grates, the new kick plate.

The fit and finish seem really good. Nothing to complain about here. No gaps, everything is nicely polished, nicely joined. I cleaned the stove thoroughly and looked it over well. I don't have a Wolf to compare it to but I really am quite satisfied so far. The paint job is good.

WTR to color -- I had ordered a sample and when it came it was obviously lighter than the swatch book, and way too light. So when I placed the order I chose a much darker version of that color, thinking if it comes through like the swatch, fine, and if it comes through a little lighter, still fine. Well, when I saw the range in the garage I really cringed-- it looked way lighter. But once in the kitchen it looks fine. But the point of all this -- last night I went on the web site and found that now Blue Star sells little 3x5 samples for $20 that are the exact painted metal you will get. If only this had been available six weeks ago when I placed my order! I'm happy with the color but I am in the situation of wanting to exactly echo the chroma of my tiles so I think I might have done a bit better with another color. May-be not. I am really happy with the color -- and I'm very sensitive about color.

But if you're placing an order for a colored range and if you care about matching something else in the kitchen (even if you don't care about matching), you may want to get some of those little samples. I feel just lucky that things worked out well with the color.

The range seems really solid. It looks great. The drip trays move easily and stay in alignment. The oven is huge and the racks are solid and slide well.

The install was not a piece of cake but not too bad. We took off the grates, the oven floor, and the kick plate but not the door. This lightened it quite a bit. One of the tough things was getting the flexible gas hose out of the way behind the stove. I could not understand why people are putting a safety shutoff for the gas behind the stove. If you need to quickly get to it, you would have to pull the stove out first. It just didn't make sense to me. We ran our gas line down through the floor and the gas shutoff is in the basement just below the range, where it is easily seen and easily reached.

Ok that is probably much more information than anyone wants and we haven't even fired it up yet . . . .but like I said, just want to pay it forward for all the great information (and hand holding) I received along the way.

Stay tuned.

Comments (15)