SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie814

Cookie Exchange Recipes

debbie814
17 years ago

I thought I would start this thread since my cookies are starting to arrive. Thank you to Alexa and Sharon for coordinating our cookie exchange!

I received this recipe for Pistachio Cookies from my sister who sells cookies during the holiday season. The green adds color to the cookie platter.

Pistachio Cookies

=================

1 cup crisco

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 cup milk

1 small box instant pistaschio pudding

5 tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla

2 tsp almond extract

7 1/2 cups flour

1 cup chopped walnuts

10 drops green food coloring

Mix crisco, sugar, eggs and milk. Add pudding, baking powder, vanilla , almond extract and food coloring. Add flour one cup at a time. Fold in nuts. Roll into balls the size of a super ball or use 2 1/2 tsp scooper.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes until cookies start to crack. Cool. Dip in white chocolate then nuts if desired.

Comments (17)

• User
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ladies and Gent, don't forget to post your recipes

• craftyrn
    17 years ago

These are the ones I sent -- the original recipe is from somewhere on the web-- yrs ago started making them just at Christmas and they've become a real favorite.
    {{gwi:1468023}}
    Diane's Home Cookin Chapter: Christmas Cookies
    Cuccidati Recipe
    ================
    Crust:
    3/4 cup margarine
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    rind of 1 orange
    4 teaspoons orange juice
    3 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Filling:
    1 string of figs
    8 ounces raisins
    8 ounces brown sugar
    1 pound walnuts
    1 pound dates
    1 orange
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 ounces whiskey
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1-1/2 cups water
    Frosting:
    3 cups powdered sugar
    4 ounces butter
    orange juice
    . .
    Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    Crust: In large bowl, cream together first 3 ingredients. Add orange
    juice and orange rind. In separate bowl, combine flour and baking
    powder. Add to creamed mixture along with vanilla.
    Filling: Prepare several days ahead of time. In a food grinder, grind
    figs and raisins. In large saucepan, simmer raisins and figs with brown
    sugar and water for 15 minutes. Grind walnuts, dates, and orange. Stir
    into hot mixture along with cinnamon, black pepper, and whiskey. Remove
    from stove, mix well, cover, and let mellow for 3 days. Note: This
    recipe makes enough filling for 2 batches of crust and can be divided
    and frozen for up to six months.
    Roll dough into 3" wide strips on pastry cloth. Lay filling down the
    center and wrap dough to form a long "sausage-like" cookie. Roll back
    and forth until crust seems very thin. Cut in diagonal about every 1
    1/2 inches. Place on cookie sheet close together and bake for 10-13
    minutes. Cookies should be barely brown. Cool and store in tins 5 days,
    then frost.
    Frosting: In medium bowl, mix together margarine and powdered sugar
    until well blended. Add enough juice to make a thick glaze. Top cookies
    with a thin coat. Let frosting dry a couple of hours then store in tins
    as follows.
    To Store: Line tins with foil, place a layer of cookies, then a layer
    of wax paper (NOT plastic wrap). Keep repeating, ending with foil and then the lid.
    * my notes:
    I usually just dust with confectioners sugar tho the frosted ones are good too.
    I always end up with extra filling even tho I make 2 batches of dough. The extra filling I use in Thumbprint cookies. Can be frozen .
    It's also good mixed with cream cheese as a spread for bagels or English muffins or as a basis for Sugar Plums.

• Related Discussions

LOOKING for: Recipes for cookies using a cookie mold

Q

Comments (6)
    I found the Cookie Art Exchange which includes some recipes (look for Cookie Recipes in the left-hand column under "Brown Bag Cookie Art". Here are some additional recipes from the small booklet that came with my cookie mold, from Brown Bag Cookie Art: Chocolate Cookies Follow the recipe for Sugar Cookies at the web site, but add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa to the sugar. Do not chill the dough. Mold as directed. =============================================== Orange Spice Cookies 1/2 cup butter - softened 1/2 cup light brown sugar - packed 1 egg (medium or large) 1 Tablespoon grated orange rind 1 tsp. grated lemon rind 1 Tablespoon orange liquor 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 1/4 tsp. ground cloves 1/8 tsp. allspice 1/4 tsp. salt 2 cups flour - scoop measured (use your measuring cup to scoop flour from the bag, then level) Thoroughly cream the softened butter and sugar together by hand or with a mixer. Beat in the egg (if using a mixer, use the slowest speed), the grated orange and lemon rinds, and the orange liquor. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients, then stir them into the butter mixture. Knead for a minute. Chill the dough for 30 minutes and mold cookies as directed. Bake at 350° in the top third of your oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are nicely browned. ============== Enjoy! Jen
    ...See More

LOOKING for: chocolate cookie cutter cookie recipe

Q

Comments (2)
    ere are two recipes that I like. Hope you have success with them! Chocolate Cut Out Cookies Cookie type: cut outs This is another recipe from www.cookierecipe.com. The recipe was submitted by Robin J. The cookies will puff up slightly. The recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies depending on the cookie cutter. Ingredients 1 cup butter or margarine 2 cups white sugar 3 eggs 2 teas vanilla 3 cups flour 1 teas baking powder 10 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder Directions Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs, beating well. Mix in vanilla. Combine flour cocoa powder and baking powder, add to cream mixture. Mix well. Cover and chill for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Divide dough in half. Roll out each half to ¼ inch thick. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Decorate. Bake 10 to 12 minutes. Decorate. Cut-Out Chocolate Cookies Cookie Type: Cut-out This is another recipe out of HersheyÂs Best-Loved recipes. Good texture and taste. It makes about 3 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutters. Ingredients ½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened ¾ cup sugar 1 egg 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 ½ cups flour 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa ½ teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ¼ teaspoon salt Directions: Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a large bowl until and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture, blending well. Chill dough about 1 hour or until firm enough to roll. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. On a lightly floured board or between 2 pieces of wax paper roll a small portion of the dough at a time to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters; place on an ungreased sheet. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until no indentations remain when touched lightly. Cool slightly and remove from cookie sheet onto wire racks. Coo completely, decorate as desired. Hints, Tips, Tricks and How to Cheat: I found that the dough cracked when I tried to roll it out after chilling. The dough needs to be at room temperature. The cookies also needed a longer baking period 8-9 minutes. Also, I found that if you roll the dough on a silicone mat that is floured, then cut out the cookies, it makes it easier to get the cookies onto the baking sheet.
    ...See More

RECIPE: Looking for a cookie exchange quality recipe

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks very much for your help everyone! I checked out the dessert exchange thread and also Robin's cookie exchange. A bunch of good ideas, now I just have to choose which recipe to make and how many rules I want to impose. Eileen, I found your Polish Tea Cookies, and they sound wonderful! They will definitely will be part of my Christmas cookie collection this year. You guys are great! Chris
    ...See More

RECIPE: Banana Raisin Cookies...Gluten free recipe

Q

Comments (3)
    I realize that this is a very old thread, but here is some information on oats. My wife has celiac disease and was not able to eat oat meal. However, recently she tried some certified gluten free oats and has had no problem whatsoever with them. Apparently, most oats on the market (such as Quaker) have some cross contamination with gluten-containing grains, but there are some oats that are free of cross contamination. There are at least two companies in Wyoming who sell such products.
    ...See More
  • stacy3
    17 years ago

Aunt Lucy's Nut Tassies

Dough
    2 small pkgs of cream cheese
    1/2 lb butter
    2 cups flour

Filling
    3 eggs
    2 cups light brown sugar
    pinch salt
    3 tbsp melted butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    crushed pecans or walnuts

Cream together the cream cheese and butter.
    Add flour and mix into a dough. Make 48 balls and press into mini muffin tins. (I use a little tart tamper dipped in flour)

For filling, beat 3 eggs with a fork. Add brown sugar and salt. Last, add melted butter and then vanilla.

Fill dough cups a little over half way, then top each with 1 tsp crushed nuts.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

• User
    17 years ago

Here's Lyndaluu2's recipe!

Chocolate Fudge Cookies

Mix together and boil in a saucepan for 3 mins. the following ingredients;
    2 cups granulated sugar
    1/4 lb of butter (1 stick)
    1/2 cup powdered cocoa
    1/2 cup milk

Remove from heat.
    Add 1/2 cup peanutbutter (make sure it melts)
    1 tesp vanilla
    3 cups oatmeal
    Drop by tesp on waxed paper or buttered plate.

These cookies do not have to be baked in the oven.

• annie1992
    17 years ago

OK, since Sherry got the first package from me, I'll post mine:

Scottish Shortbread in Three Variations
    (Readinglady)
    1 large or 3 medium batches. "A truly great shortbread."
    3 cups AP flour
    1 cup rice flour (or sub cornstarch)
    1 tsp. salt
    2 cups good-quality fresh unsalted butter at room temp but not overly soft
    1 cup fruit sugar (sub superfine sugar)
    >
    > 1. Preheat oven to 325. Line at least 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside. (Alternatively you can use shortbread pans [moulds] or cut with decorative cutters. If you use cutters, chill the mixed dough first.) Have ready any flavourings you plan to add. Sift the AP and rice flours (or cornstarch) together with the salt and set aside. Beat the butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar and cream until very light and fluffy.
    >
    2. Add flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar in 4-5 additions, creaming thoroughly between each. I prefer to work in the dry ingredients by hand in a bowl large enough that I can use both hands to knead in the last bit of flour. Try to keep your palms off the dough as much as possible so the heat doesn't melt the butter and cause the dough to become oily. For plain shortbread, knead for 30 seconds after the last of the flour has been ncorporated. For flavoured shortbread, divide the dough into 3 roughly equal parts and place each one in a separate bowl. Cover portions you're not working with with a piece of plastic wrap. Work flavoring ingredients into the dough as per the recipes below. Each will flavor 1/3 of the master recipe.
    >
    > 3. For Moulded Shortbread: press the dough directly into the form. Prick dough all over with a fork and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until pale golden. Cool for 5 minutes, then invert the form onto a wooden board. Mark the divisions with a sharp knife to facilitate separating the pieces once the bread has cooled and set. A mould will hold 1/3 of the total recipe.
    >
    > 4. For Shortbread Fingers: Use an 8-inch square baking pan lined with an overhang of parchment on two sides and press the dough evenly into the bottom. Prick with a fork and bake 30-35 minutes as above. This size pan will hold 1/3 of the total recipe.
    >
    > 5. For Cut-Out Cookies: The dough will have to be chilled until it is cool enough to roll, about 20-30 minutes. The high butter content of this dough means it firms quite quickly; keep an eye on it so that it doesn't become too cold to roll. Wrap the mixed dough portions in plastic wrap and flatten each one into a disc. Chill, then roll out on a very lightly floured surface to a thickness of about 1/4". Cut shapes from the flat of dough using sharp cutters. I like simple shapes like plain or fluted circles about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in diameter, making each cookie a satisfying but not too decadent morsel. Transfer shapes to lined baking sheets and chill sheets for 10-15 minutes until dough is firm. Prick shapes once or twice with a fork and bake 15-20 minutes. Adjust time according to size and thickness of cookies. Tops should be just firm and edges just barely colouring. Cool on baking sheets set on wire rack for 7 minutes then transfer cookies to the racks. Cool sheets under cold running water and wipe dry before reusing. Repeat with remaining dough until all the cookies are baked and cooled.
    >
    > 6. Short shortbread in airtight tins up to 2 weeks. Both dough and baked cookies may be frozen, well-wrapped. Frozen baked cookies should be layered with waxed or parchment paper and thawed in their wrappings at room temperature. Each 1/3 recipe makes about 24 cookies, or one 8-inch round or square.
    >
    > Variations: Each flavours 1/3 of the dough. May be doubled or tripled to flavor 2/3 or all of the batch.
    >
    > Dark Chocolate and Marbled Mocha: Before creaming butter and sugar, dissolve 1 T. good-quality espresso powder in 1/2 tsp. warm water to form a thick paste. Set aside. Gently knead 1 tsp. of this paste into 1/3 of the dough once the last of the flour mixture has been incorporated. Work the paste in just enough to evenly distribute it in a marbled effect throughout the dough. Wrap the mocha dough in a sheet of plastic wrap and flatten
    > slightly into a disk. Chill for 20-30 minutes or until firm enough to roll. Roll and cut into shapes. Transfer to lined baking sheets, chill and bake as per recipe above. While the shortbreads are cooling, melt 4 ounces of finely chopped semisweet chocolate in a non-reactive bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently and remove from the heat when the chocolate is almost melted. Stir to melt completely. Dip cooled cookies vertically, one at a time, into the warm chocolate, half-coating them. Gently wipe bottoms on the edge of the bowl. Transfer dipped biscuits to a parchment-lined baking sheet and allow chocolate to set completely before storing cookies stacked between pieces of parchment or waxed paper, in airtight tins.
    >
    > Candied Ginger and White Chocolate: Knead 2 1/2 T. of finely chopped candied ginger (preferably Australian) into 1/3 of the dough after the last of the flour mixture has been added. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, flatten slightly into a disc and chill until firm enough to roll. Roll, cut, chill and bake, then cool completely. Melt 4 ounces of finely chopped good-quality white chocolate in a non reactive bowl, etc. removing chocolate when it is about 3/4 melted. Stir to melt completely. Dip edges in the warm hocolate, creating a rim of white around the cookies. Transfer dipped cookies to a parchment-lined sheet and allow chocolate to set completely before storing cookies as described above.

Annie

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

I actually think I have everything for Debbie's pistachio cookies. Might make them later this afternoon...I know Andrew would just love these. Wait...no white chocolate. I have bittersweet but the white chocolate does look pretty.

Annie, what is the purpose of the rice flour/corn starch? I like to know these things :D. Is the rice flour preferred. I just bought very expensive imported Scottish shortbread! lol I would love to surprise my Irish Dad who is coming for Christmas. I already got the Barry's tea for him.

Thanks everybody. I am sort of glad I didn't participate because I don't think I have the skills yet. I am sort of a hit and miss baking. But I am so happy to watch the fun and learn!

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Maggie, the rice flour gives the shortbread a kind of "sandy" texture, I think. The cornstarch makes it "smoother". Ashley likes the stuff with the cornstarch better, she says it's not "gritty". LOL

Why use either instead of all flour? Darned if I know, I just know it works. I also used powdered sugar because I couldn't find any superfine sugar in my small grocery.

The boss says shortbread is just sugar, held together with butter. She's close to right, but this is some darned fine shortbread, thanks to Readinglady.

Annie

• maggie2094
    17 years ago

Annie, thanks to you and the boss ;). I think I will use the cornstarch but will look out for rice flour. If I find it I'll try both. I actually find the simplest recipes to be the most difficult for me. I did have some success with a shortbread recipe from Penzeys last year. I never get sugar cookies right. The simplest are often the best so I keep trying. I remember hearing that you can give regular sugar a whir in the food processor to get it finer...so I will try that, too.

No pistachio cookies today. I ran out of steam.

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Here are mine.

"Santa's Helpers."
    Cookie:
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup brown sugar
    Add 1 egg
    1 tsp. vanilla
    Beat until smooth
    Add:
    2 cup flour
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    Beat until smooth
    Topping:
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup sour cream
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    Stir until smooth and then add:
    1 cup chopped walnuts

Divide dough into quarters. Form each quarter into 6 balls. Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet. With finger, make a wide deep depression in each cookie, clear to the edge. Fill with topping. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, (or in a convection oven, about 9 minutes)
    If you undercook these, the filling is so heavy that it will break through when you pick them up, so I make them crunchy. You could also not make the depression in them as deep and there would be more dough to suport the filling so that it did not break through. These are my family's favorite cookies, and we have never ever seen them anywhere else. (They were my secret weapon)
    Also, if I make a huge depression in them, I sometimes make half again as much filling so I don't run out.
    Makes 24 cookies

• lori316
    17 years ago

Lori's Lemon Coolers

1/2 cup powdered sugar
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/3 cup shortening
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 cups cake flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon water

1 cup powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon unsweetened lemonade mix

Directions:

-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    -Cream together sugars, shortening, egg, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
    -Add the flour and baking powder. Add 1 tablespoon of water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.
    -Roll dough into 3/4-inch balls and flatten slightly onto a lightly greased cookie sheet.
    -Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cookies are light brown.
    -As cookies bake, combine 1 cup powdered sugar with the lemonade drink mix in a large plastic bag and shake thoroughly to mix.
    -When the cookies are removed from the oven and while they are still hot, add four or five at a time to the bag and mix until the cookies are well coated. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
    (Makes about 4 dozen cookies)

NOTES:
    *This recipe doubles easily - in fact I don't ever remember NOT doubling it!

*I use Crystal Lite Lemonade Mix.

*For an even more lemony flavor, sub some or all of the tablespoon of water for lemon juice. I used water in the cookies I sent out.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

well COOL! It seem most of the recipients received Rugelah from me today, so I am comfortable posting the recipe..............

Rugelah

DOUGH:
    8 oz cream cheese
    1 cup unsalted butter
    1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
    pinch salt
    1/2 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 cups all- purpose flour

GLAZE:

1 lrg egg, beaten
    1/4 cup large crystal sugar

FRUIT FILLING:
    1 cup apricot or raspberry jam
    3/4 cup walnuts -- broken up

CHOCOLATE FILLING
    1 cup shaved semisweet chocolate, (about 8 ounces)
    1 large egg

Place the cream cheese, butter, confectioner's sugar, lemon juice and vanilla in a food processor. Add the flour and pulse until a very soft dough is formed. Refrigerate for at least ONE HOUR.

Mix the ingredients for the filling of your choice and dividethe dough into 4 balls. Roll the balls out into 4 circles, about 1/8 inch thick and spread with fruit or chocolate filling.

Cut into pie-shaped pieces 1-inch wide at the circumference.

Roll up from the wide side to the center. Beat the egg and brush the top. Sprinkle with the crystallized (or granulated) sugar and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake in a reheated 350 degree oven for25 minutes or until golden brown.

• User
    17 years ago

Here is my recipe , it's from Food and Drink magazine.

Chocolate, Cherry and Hazelnut Rugelach

For the chocolate cookie dough

1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
    1 cup cream cheese, room temp
    1 cup sugar
    1 3/4 cups flour
    2/3 cup Dutch cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp salt

For the filling

1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts, most skins removed
    1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
    2 oz finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
    1/2 cup cherry jam

For the topping

1/2 cup sugar
    1 TBSP cinnamon

Combine butter, cream cheese and beat until smooth. Add sugar and beat until creamy.

Sift together the flour cocoa and salt. Add to the butter mixture and beat just until dough comes together and the flour is incorporated. Use floured hands to gather dough into a ball.

Lightly flour dough and place between two sheets of parchmnet. Roll out to a 1/4 unch thick rectangle.

Remove the top layer of parchment and fold the dough as you would a business letter, bringing the bottom third up and then folding the top third down. Dust with flour, replace parchment and roll out to a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Rotate 45 degrees and fold as before. Repeat folding and rolling until you have done it three times.

Cut rectangle of dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Meanwhile , combine chopped hazelnuts, cherries and chocolate in a small bowl.

Remove one piece of dough from the refrigerator, dust with flour and roll into a 8X12 rectangle. Cut in half lengthwise so you have 2 4X12 rectangles.

Spread 2 TBSP of the jam on each rectangle leaving 1/2 inch border of dough all around. Sprinkle with about a 1/4 of the cherry, nut and chocolate mixture.

Roll the dough into a long roll, using the parchment paper as an aid. Press the edge lightly to seal. Roll the log in the parchmnet paper and refrigertae for 2 hours , must be very firm.

Repeat with remaing dough, until you have 4 logs.

Preheat oven to 350.

Using a sgharp knife cut each log in half and then each half in six.

Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and toss cookies in mixture to coat.

Place cookies seam side down on parchment lined cookie sheet (I missed this point and placed cut side down). Place back in the fridge until very firm.

Bake 1 sheet at a time, for 20 minutes or until the cookies are cooked and the filling is bubbling. Becareful not to overcook (ask me how I know???)

Allow to cool thoroughly before moving.

• caliloo
    17 years ago

Hey - there are still some recipes missing!

If you haven't posted yet, please do!

Alexa

• alucy
    17 years ago

Sorry it took me so long busy week. Okay, my first picture on the forum, hope it works!

CRANBERRY-ORANGE DELIGHTS

This is the original recipe but I did make several modifications which are noted below the recipe.

1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    ½ cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1 teaspoon grated orange zest
    2 Tbs orange juice
    2 ½ cups all pupose flour
    ½ tsp baking soda
    ½ tsp salt
    2 cups dried cranberries
    ½ cup chopped walnuts

For glaze:
    ½ tsp grated orange zest
    3 Tbs orange juice
    1½ cups confectioners sugar

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter, white and brown sugars until smooth. Beat in the egg until well blended. Mix in 1 teaspoon orange zest and 2 Tbs. orange juice. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt, stir into the orange mixture. Mix in cranberries and walnuts, if using, until evenly distributed. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be spaced at least 2 inches apart.

Bake for approximately 1214 minutes in preheated oven until edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.

For glaze:
    In small bowl whisk together ½ teaspoon orange zest, 3 tablespoons orange juice and confectioners sugar until smooth. Spread over the tops of cooled cookies. Let stand until set.

My modifications:

Mixing method: I used the melted butter method for these instead of creaming the butter and sugars together. I simply beat or stir the cooled melted butter into the sugars.

Cookie dough additions: I added 3-4 tablespoons of chopped glaceed oranges to the batter. Id just gotten some as a gift for Christmas (thats why I made orange cookies) and I thought they would add a nice orangey touch, as they have a rich orange flavor. Used pecans, not walnuts, and toasted them.

Glaze additions: I made the glaze with creamed cheese (beat in about 2-3 tablespoons with the orange juice, zest and flavorings) to give it more thickness, creaminess and body, added about a teaspoon of orange flavoring to it, a tiny pinch of salt and just a touch of lemon juice (the lemon is not necessary, I just wanted a bit more tartness and to bring out the flavor).

Baking: I found 375 too fast an oven and over-browned my first batch. 350 degrees worked much better for me.

If I had to make these again, I would use a little bit less sugar and/or either fresh chopped cranberries or unsweetened dried ones, since I missed the tartness of the cranberry flavor and found the cookies a bit sweet.

• sheshebop
    17 years ago

Thank you everybody.

• denise8101214
    15 years ago

handy thread!

• paradisa
    15 years ago

I just was looking into venturing into another forum and saw 'cooking' - sounded interesting. Then I saw this post with all the wonderfull cookie recipes that I am going to print out and try. Thank you!

I'd like to give you my familys favorite cookie recipe in return:

Buck Eyes

1/2 lb.butter
    1 lb. peanut butter
    1 1/2 tbsp. vanilla
    1 1/2 lbs confec. sugar

Knead above ingredients together (Used to do this by hand now use my kitchenaid) and refrigerate. Roll into 1" balls and put in fridge.
    Melt 1 12 oz. bag of choco chips or candy melts.
    Dip balls in choco with toothpick. Cool on parchment lined cookie sheets in frig.
    Cover holes. Enjoy!

Oh and while I have my recipe book out. Here is the best sugar cookie recipe ever - they come out nice and soft not crunchy. I use this recipe for all my cut out cookies.

The Best Ever Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
    1/3 cup butter softened
    1/4 cup shortening
    1/2 tsp. lemon extract
    1 egg
    2 2/3 cups flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup sour cream
    Sugar

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Mix 1 cup sugar, butter, shortening, lemon extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sour cream. * Dough is really sticky can add 1/3 cup more flour to stiffen it up some. Refrigerate dough 1/2 to 1 hour. Roll 1/3 dough at a time 1/4 inch thick on a WELL floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with Sugar if desired. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or untill almost no indentation remains when touched. an frost when cooled if desired. Makes 3 dozen 2 1/2 inch cookies.

I'll put my book away now, but have a italian christmas cookie recipe and a holiday gumdrop cookie recipes that are real good . If anyone wants tham let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks again for sharing the recipes - looking forward to trying them.
    Paradisa