SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnhardin

Gas cooktop AND induction? What to do?

lnhardin
15 years ago

We are building. Current house has a GE Monogram gas cooktop with 6 burners and a grill. We have been quite happy with it. In the new house I was all set to get a Blue Star 60" with a 24" griddle. Multiple cooks in this family and we tend to all be in the kitchen together. Blue Star for the high BTUs and the griddle for my guys.

OK, so now I start hearing about induction - great to cook on, saves energy, won't put out heat in our hot summers. I find out Summit has built in unit for under $1000. Now I'm torn. Appliance budget is getting a little tight, but hubby says $1K won't break us, the kitchen should be what I want. I could either get the induction unit and put it in the island,thus giving us essentially another cooking station, and a couple of extra burners, OR I find I can get a Blue Star configured at 48" with 4 burners and the 24" griddle and then maybe tuck the induction unit right next to it in the main cooking area. Then I would have 4 gas burners, 2 induction and the griddle all under the 60" hood. Best of both worlds. Or is it? What if I don't like induction? What if I miss those 2 other gas burners (and yes, we OFTEN have them all in use). But if I put the induction on the island, I lose some counter area. Will we be bumping into each other from the rear? Will there be a problem with a hot pot being on an island that is both prep and casual dining area? I know the burner isn't hot, but surely the pot is?

All input is welcome, particularly someone who is using both.

Comments (8)