SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gale_tx

Disc Space ?

gale_tx
13 years ago

XP Home, OE, FF, Cable

I'm getting this msg that says I have little space on my computer. I tried the defragmenter and it says I need 15? and I only have 2?. Now, I'm trying to do the disk cleanup and it's taking forever.

Am I doing the right thing?

TIA

Comments (31)

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

Disk clean up is a good place to start, although you may have simply run out of space. Videos tend to take up the most space, followed by pictures and music.

As an aside, modern computers generally don't benefit significantly from defrag.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tks, Mike. I guess it's time to use this new external hard drive that my DH so thoughtfully bought for me a couple of months ago, huh? I have two grandbabies with lots of pics and videos. Need I say more?

My concern is not being sure that things are safe on external HD's. That's been my concern. This is a Verbatim brand. I'd be crushed if any of those things were lost. Lemme know, ok?

Tks again.

• Related Discussions

needing prayers

Q

Comments (27)
    well its been 25 days since the surgery and im feeling better! im having problems with being dizzy, im very unstable and have fallen several times. i had and xray done on the 16 to see if ive done any damage but i havent heard from the doc yet. its driving me crazy not being able to go anywhere because the fear of falling.but like i said im feeling so blessed that im feeling better and can do a little more things around the house (even some things im not supposed to do.)but when things need to be done they need to be done right?! i want to thank all of you for the well wishes and prayers. yall are an awesome group of people! hugs from me to all of you! kathy
    ...See More

finalizing a dvd or cd in W7

Q

Comments (1)
    Good info, thanks for sharing it. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I never even think of doing a multi-session burn. :)
    ...See More

dvd+ (plus) vs dvd- (minus)

Q

Comments (6)
    The +/- formats are competition generated like the recent DVD contest which BlueRay won, or even farther back the beta vs VHS conflict. Today most DVD units read and/or write both formats. My most recent reading reported minus was the more prevalent of the two. Personally I do not like any RW to use for permanent storage. I have to at times use copied video, audio and text at work. Several times a year RWs which have been rewritten on several times fail; CD and DVD. Not too often, but they do fail. Without knowing what brand and model of DVD burner along with the software you intend to use, my initial position is as long as the disk is amendable you should be able to continue using it for additional storage. DA
    ...See More

Dell Vista 1st full backup screwed up

Q

Comments (9)
    System Restore is usually from your "C:\System Volume Information" a hidden folder by default. Sounds like your D has the OEM install files on it.. to revert your computer hard drive back to Out of the Box new condition. If you didn't delete any of it :) .... An image of your C drive made by a program like Macrium will usually compress to about half the total used bytes that that drive shows as currently used in windows. Usually too big to image to DVD's unless you don't mind spending the time it would take to do,,, and of course the cost of several DVD's. My C drive is small compared to most peoples on win7 and shows 60gb used .. divided by about 4.7gb per DVD.. thats a lot of DVD's and lots of time sitting there changing those disks. fwiw Paid about $11 delivered from newegg for a usb hard drive enclosure and stuck an old laptop hard drive in it & use that here to save system images to weekly. Think DVD-R's cost me about $0.40 each in a pack of 50 including tax from Office Depot.
    ...See More
  • bob414
    13 years ago

Any drive, internal or external, can fail. Things you really don't want to lose can be stored on the external drive and on dvd's and also stored on line. adrive has been recommended on this forum. Looks like they allow 50 GB of free storage.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bob, you said "Any drive, internal or external, can fail. Things you really don't want to lose can be stored on the external drive...."

Are you saying that an external is as safe as an internal hard drive? I know how computers can crash, etc. BTDT. I guess I'm a little confuzzled. Nothing new for me. :)

Also, do CDs come with different capacities?

• susieq07
    13 years ago

another online thast's great is Dropbox and also 50 GB or more free, and put a dropbox folder on your desktop..

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

If things are extremely important to you give a thought to multiple backups using different media. Everything is potentially corruptible due to aging or product failure so the odds against loss are reduced if you do so.

Does your system have a DVD burner? If so, a DVD has much more storage than CDs.

Finally, CCleaner left at it's default settings gives a much better service than Disk Cleanup, and Defraggler is a faster defragging application than the Windows utility.

DA

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

How big is your hard drive and how much is used? Do you ever uninstall or delete programs and files you no longer need? And how old is this computer?

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tks, everyone.

Yes, DA, I have a DVD burner. Great suggestion. Why didn't I think of that? DUH! I have CC and use it frequently. Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the problem of the overloaded PC. I'll give that Defraggler a whirl.

Kudzu, I've forgotten how to find the information about my hard drive. I'd appreciate any help with that. I do uninstall and delete programs, etc. once in a while. My computer was built for me about 3 yrs ago. What can I say? I've been a busy girl, lol.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

To find your disk info, right-click on Start, Explore All Users, right-click on C:, and click Properties. This will tell you how big, and how much is used and free.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

YIKES!

Capacity - 74.5 GB
    Used - 70.6 GB
    Free - 3.87 GB

Methinks I'm in SERIOUS trouble!

YIKES!

Capacity - 74.5 GB
    Used - 70.6 GB
    Free - 3.87 GB

Methinks I'm in SERIOUS trouble! After I get these videos and pics onto the external hard drive and DVDs, my problem should be solved? Or no?

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm so afluttered I typed it twice in the preview and submitted it... lol.

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

From one grandparent to another, we tend to keep too many pictures. I personally acknowledge that it is difficult to delete anything as to the grandchildren, I have three myself, but I force myself to delete the lack of quality and lack of meaning pictures. If I had to voice a number I would say 10-15% can be deleted without regret.

DA

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly, DA. There's going to be some serious deleting going along with the downloading.

Might be bothering you good people again if this doesn't solve my problem.... Just a BOLO... ;)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

gale-
    I'm sure your grandkids are almost as cute as mine, but you really have to ask yourself: Do I need 400 variations on a kid holding a spoon with food on his face?

My mindset is: Is this a unique picture that would be worth printing out or copying to a digital picture frame? Is it in focus? How often do I want to look through all of these unsorted shots? Is anything lost if I only keep the best one out of many similar shots? And who is going to take the time to want any of this in the future if it's not pared down?

Do some weeding out. Transfer the keepers to an external hard drive and to a second location, like a CD or DVD. And then enjoy your speedier computer without all those timeless treasures hogging the disk space and slowing it down.

I do have to say that it was easier years ago when it cost money to take pictures and print them out...my parents took shots so infrequently that we once got two Christmases on one roll of film!

• DA_Mccoy
    13 years ago

I have to laugh regarding K's comment about years ago. I tell people I have a 100,000 pictures of my first born, 10,000 for the middle one, and for the youngest (who is soon to be 33) two shots left on the roll in the camera.

DA

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

Memory cards are getting so cheap these days I fill one up and just buy another and keep the originals on the memory card then I can use it to back them up to DVD or external or where ever. It does not take up much room to store those tiny cards, I have a memory card wallet I got at I think walmart, I make a little label and stick in the slot with the card. I don't tend to put many of my pics on my computer itself unless it is something I know I will be using often.
    I buy the 4gig memory card and the 4 gig Kingston flash drives at Big Lots all the time, they run them on special for $9 regular I think they are $12 now, I stock up when they are on sale and I also use my buzz club 20% off coupons on them.

I have used Adrive online storage for several years now, have never had any problem there and it is very easy to use the fact they give 50 gig free is a big plus.

you have a fairly small hard drive in realation to the sizes of today. you might consider replacing it with a bigger size drive, there are some great free programs that allow you to clone the entire drive operating system and all and just put it all on the new drive. Installing one is pretty simple and they are not very expensive.
    To find out all the info you need about your pc go here and download the little Belarc tool it will give you a nice read out which you can print.
    Belarc Advisor

• bpgreen
    13 years ago

In my opinion, you're always going to have space problems with such a small hard drive. If I were you, I'd get a bigger hard drive, create a disk image of your current drive on the external drive, create a boot CD, put the new drive in and restore from the backup.

Paragon has a free and easy to use program. It will let you automatically resize to the new drive size. I'm guessing you can get a bigger drive for around $50-$60. Look for ATA and/or IDE. I'd look at newegg.com first. Since ATA/IDE is older, a clearance place like geeks.com may have more options.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All good advice and is much appreciated. I've printed out all your suggestions. Some of it is greek to me, so, like I said I might be bach (said in my Ahnold voice).

• karbon
    13 years ago

Get one of the reputed third party automatic defraggers.Some of them defrag with as less as 1% free space if I remember right. And you can also set it on the automatic mode.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tks, karbon. I'll try that.

What size hard drive should I get?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

check the specs on your pc to see if there is a size limit. A 200Gig or so would be a decent size, you can go to 500gig if you want to spend a bit more. You will need to run belarc or one of those type tools so you know exactly what type hard drive you will need.

• lynnalexandra
    13 years ago

Hi. I hope it's okay if I jump in on this thread as I have a similar task ahead of me. My 11 yo daughter's computer has a 40GB hard drive - which was sufficient for her playing games and surfing on the computer. Now she's starting to store music in Itunes, some picturs, an Flip Video's, so she's now over 75% full on her hard drive. Her computer is slowing way down and I've run the ccleaner, defragged the drive, run spyware programs and gotten rid of spyware. Clearly need to free up space.

I could either get her an external drive and put her music, pictures and videos there. Or I could replace her internal hard drive. Replacing the internal drive sounds wise bc. she'll she might have difficulty knowing where to go for her music, videos, etc if it's not on her C: drive. But I'm worried about getting the information from her current drive to the new one.

On the other hand, her computer is Dell dimension 4500 - from 2002 (I just updated to 1.5 GB Ram). These specs:

XP sp3
    1.8 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 processor
    40GB hard drive
    CD-RW, DVD-rom drive (I think that means it only writes cd's but will play dvd's)

I think pretty soon this will be too outdated and slow to do much of what she needs. In a year or so, it might be time to get her a new computer - in which case having her files on the external hard drive would be great - no changes needed when getting a new computer. Or I may pass mine down to her then.

If I go the route of changing the internal hard drive, BP suggested above: "get a bigger hard drive, create a disk image of your current drive on the external drive, create a boot CD, put the new drive in and restore from the backup." Sounds great but I am unsure how to do those steps. If I buy her an external drive - and try to create a disk image of her current drive, I have no idea how to do that - or how to create a boot CD, or how to restore from the back-up. (I do think I can figure out physically replacing the actual drive).

She certainly needs more space. Given her computer specs - and soon to be growing need to store music and video, should I just get her a large (500GB?) external hard drive - or go through the work of changing her internal hard drive?

I hope it's appropriate to post this here. Let me know if I should instead start my own thread.

Thank you.
    Lynn.

PS - On my own computer, I have an external hard drive that has a back-up of my C drive - and some video files. It's a 600 GB hard drive with 136GB free. For an external hard drive that doesn't run programs, do I still need to keep 15-25% free space?

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

lynnalexandra-
    I wouldn't bother putting a new internal drive in an ancient computer. Get her a quality external hard drive and then, when the computer from 2002 dies, she can just unplug the external drive and attach it to her next computer. I doubt that an 11 year old is going to have a problem figuring out where her music is....

• lynnalexandra
    13 years ago

Thanks, Kudzu. I'll do that - just a quality external hard drive.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

I would agree I would invest in a better quality large external hard drive that can be used with any future pc and would make accessing the files easy.

There are some very good tutorials for using the imaging programs so any one needing that I can easily link to those for you.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

lynnalexandra-
    I'm partial to the Toshiba Canvio Plus line of external drives. They seem to be highly reliable, are nice and small, and are very reasonably priced. Check out the prices and reviews on Amazon and you'll see what I mean.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Raven, where do I find the size of hard drive I need on BelArc? Tks.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

belarc will tell you the type you need IDE or SATA it likely will not give a size you can use, it is rare that there are limits but I have run into a couple of instances that the larger hard drives were not recognized. I think if you stay under 500gig you should be fine. You would need to look up your actual model of pc on the manufacturers site to see if it lists any other specs for hard drive requirements.

for external drives I use Seagate Free Agent Pro, I like their warranty. Plus they come pre formated in NTFS ready to use, some come in FAT and most people would want to use NTFS with todays windows.

• gale_tx
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need an IDE then. (whatever that means, lol) I have a Verbatim external hd with 1.8 trig capacity. Will I be able to get all my pics, videos, etc. on that? I plan to back them up with DVDs. I'm in the sorting and pitching stage now. Why I've let this go is beyond me. Can you say 'procrastination'?

• mike_kaiser_gw
    13 years ago

IDE refers to interface or the way the device connects to the computer. Today you'll likely see PATA (parallel ATA) for that kind of drive. The other is SATA (or serial ATA). The two are not interchangeable so just make sure you get the right one.

But those are generally internal devices. If you want an external drive, then you'll want a USB.

• jemdandy
    13 years ago

An external hard drive has the same reliablilty as an internal hard drive.

I suggest that you burn the photos to quality CDs. You can keep copies in both places until you become short of space on your computer's hard drive. For pictures you definitely wish to keep "forever", consider making a second copy to a CD and store. The fewer times you write something to a re-writeablr CD, the longer it will last.