SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
campzama

dvd+ (plus) vs dvd- (minus)

campzama
15 years ago

1. What is the difference between DVD+ vs DVD-?

2. I bought DVD- (minus) because girl @ Staples said it was faster.

Now changing topics:

I want to backup my files and my new computer suggests it should be done regularly. They say the easiest way is to have it done automatically using the "backup wizard". I've chosen monthly to start (I don't create many files) and have just completed the first backup. It filled one DVD-RW (rewriteable) 4.7GB with no room to spare. As I understand it the next time a backup is performed it does not re-copy everything but only the changes that occurred since the previous backup.

3. My question is: Since the next and future backups take up only a little disc (DVD) space do I have to use a new DVD each time? I believe they are saying I can re-insert the same DVD each time another backup is scheduled and continue doing so until that DVD becomes full. Is that right?

4. If that is right can I use a DVD-R or must I use a DVD-RW? The girl in Staples thought I would have to use a rewriteable DVD. She thought if I tried using a DVD-R multiple times (without "closing" it like a CD) sometimes the DVD would not finish copying correctly causing problems. Is this right?

I hope this is not a common thread although I thought it would be. I've been searching and looking at previous posts for some time now with no luck.

Thanks for you help.

Comments (6)