SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nostalgicfarm

Is this Possible? 1 basement room with higher ceilings?

nostalgicfarm
10 years ago

We have not consulted with an architect yet, but I keep trying to figure out how to make this happen. My plan is to have a 1 1/2 story with full basement. I would plan on my girls being in upstairs rooms and my almost 7 (so 9 or 10 when build complete) boy in basement room. I understand that most people wouldn't like having kids on different levels pike this, but it would be the best for my son who needs more private space more than most other kiddos. However all the rooms I have loved on Houzz/Pinteredt for him have had taller ceilings with a loft of sort built in. I already plan on using 9 or 10 ft ceilings for our walkout basement. Is there a way to have just one basement room have higher ceilings though?
I have tried to think about if I had a main floor room that could be stepped up, but not really thinking of anything great there. I have thought about if his room was "sunken" to achieve this higher ceiling, but not sure how great a few extra stairs down would be? I have also thought about if just the loft part had a higher ceiling? I am sure there could be a small section of the main floor that could be raised for this.
I know an architect would be the best one to consult for this, but we still are in the process of getting ready to list our house this coming spring....doesn't mean I can't dream now!
Also, I would probably want his bedroom on one of the back walls, so that it could have or be very close to a door. (not concerned about some of the same city safety issues others may be with this setup :). Maybe I could have his loft bump out from the main part of the house to get this height? Seems like that would be very expensive though?
Excited to heat anybody's thoughts on my crazy idea :)

Comments (8)