SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Front Elevation Questions

drjoann
15 years ago

We are in the planning stages for our "forever" house that we are building on 2 completely wooded acres in the Greenville, SC area. The main floor is about 2500 sq. ft. and there is that much space, again, in the walkout basement.

Here is a picture of the front elevation:

1.) We were trying for a French Country/French Eclectic feeling, hence the fairly steep (12:12) hipped roof, clipped gables, window that breaks the cornice and the terrace off of the dining room with French doors. Does the cross-timbering make it look too Tudor? I know that half-timbering is found on French Eclectic style houses, and I've found plenty of examples of it online for actual French architecture, so I think we're OK.

2.) We're a little stumped on the exterior materials for this elevation. We know that we want the indicated stone around the doors, etc. and that the half-timbered areas will have traditional stucco. What about the areas with the two smaller windows and the one single window? The architect is indicating brick. This would be either Pastelcote or tumbled brick, perhaps with an overgrout or mortar wash. Is this too many different materials? Should we make those areas either stucco or stone? Is it OK to have half-timbered stucco next to plain stucco? What do y'all think?

3.) Whatever we do for those areas, should we carry through the lower stone like we have under the windows on the half-timbered section?

I do plan to have that single window changed to match the smaller ones so I can put wrought iron window boxes on all three.

Thanks for any guidance and comments - Jo Ann

Comments (24)