SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Front Elevation Redux

drjoann
15 years ago

In the course of the past several weeks, DH & I have rethought the "look" of our new house in light of feedback from this forum (really appreciated all of the help) and the misgivings we had after we "digested" what the architect had proposed. To recap, we are building our "forever home" on two completely wooded acres in the Greenville, SC area. The main floor will be about 2500 sf, with a floor plan to allow us to do all of our living on one floor. Because of the sloping lot, there will be a daylight basement with the same square footage available to be finished, in the future.

Below is the sketch that the architect first sent us for an idea of what the house would look like. We wanted some approximation of a "European" look slanted toward Country French. Next, is the front elevation that he sent us after we had iterated on the floor plan.

I posted to the forum asking about the mixtures of materials and probably because we had a subconscious unease with the design. I won't rehash all of the discussion, but I did come to the realization that what we had was Neo-Traditional in "Old-World" drag. ;^) We originally said "Country French" because we didn't want yet another uber-gabled brick house like the one we and all the rest of our Houston neighbors have.

Soooo, over the past few weeks, we've don't lots of searching (internet and soul). I've looked at hundreds of photos from all areas of France, Jack Arnold's website and even found the website of a Greenville architect (New South Classics) who also has French and English designs based on the architecture he has studied on his travels. We decided that what we want is something simplified in terms of materials and design.

In order to have a basis for discussion with our architect, we drew up the plan in Punch! AS3000, eliminating two semi-gratuitous bumps out to simplify things. We then placed a hip roof on it. The house is about 77ft wide with the highest ridgeline at about 29 1/2ft above the ground. That is below with only the minimum doors & windows where we know they have to be:

Recognizing that we have a "roof-heavy" elevation, we knew we needed to add some dormers and make some roofs gabled. The two dormers are wall dormers just because DH likes the look of them and I saw plenty of them in the pictures from France. This gives a very large bonus room over the garage that we don't plan on using. We could go with more conventional dormers.

The entry is actually recessed, so we bumped out an archway and continued the roof to extend a shed over it. I put a shed roof over the lower garage windows just to break up the vertical space. In my 3-D view of it, I have shutters and windows boxes, but those don't print out. We've also decided to go with all stone (or pastel-cote or mortar washed brick).

The big question is have we made things better & is this something we can present to our architect as a point of departure? All comments are much appreciated and you can be assured that we will take them to heart. Thank you for all of your patience and help, so far. We look forward to hearing from y'all.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (13)