SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momali3

Messy Building Site, Part Two

15 years ago

Several months ago I posted a message having to do with my disgust at how messy our building site was. At first there was no dumpster, etc. Well, our contractor finally had a wire enclosure erected. One weekend around this time, DH and I spent two hours picking up "personal" trash such as soda and beer cans, fast food debris, etc. etc. After that, every day when I went out, I would gather all of that junk and put it in one prominent place, hoping the workmen would see and dispose of it. Well, no such luck. My "passive aggressive" tactic was either never noticed or purposefully ignored. Generally, though, we had a pleasant relationship with the framers and with the foreman, who was the only English speaker on the job. When they were about finished, he gestured around the debris-filled house and said something sort of apologetic but he made it clear that it wasn't HIS job or his men's to clean up their trashy mess. Okay, chapter two. The framers have finished and now we've had exterior siding painters, HVAC guys, plumbers, electricians all working simultaneously. And, guess what, they too litter their personal trash around and leave their emptied out cardboard boxes, all the plastic wrap, etc. etc. strewn around everywhere. Two days ago we had a big rain almost all day. Because all of these guys had gone off on Friday and left all the doors and windows open, many rooms were virtual lakes. Mix in that water with sawdust and you get a nasty mud. Two days later, the lakes remain. DH said this evening when we were out there, "Coming out here now isn't fun at all; it's depressing." I personally picked up many water-sodden boxes and pitched them in the now-brimming full wire enclosure. I left their nasty cigarette butts on the floor, but I did pick up many fast-food containers and water, juice, and soda cans and bottles. This is the second house we've had built. Our present house underwent two major additions and remodels. In all three of those builds, the worksite was cleaned up every day, swept out, and all construction debris and personal trash was contained. My GC came highly recommended and he has a great reputation in town. We are pleased with everything about our house so far except for this. Oh, and another thing: the lot next door is owned by dear friends who will soon start to build. They've been out of town for all summer and the month of September. Before they came home, I told GC, "I'd really appreciate it if you'd see to it that the construction and other debris and general trash is removed from the ________'s lot. It will really be embarrassing to me for them to come back home and not even be able to walk their own lot because of all of OUR trash." He assured me that he would take care of it. Guess what? Our friends have been back over a week and nothing has been done, and I cringed the first time they drove up. I am chiefly venting, but I would love to hear from some of your about whether or not I am being petty or too picky? Should I confront GC ....again....and tell him that I've really had it up to here with this mess?

Comments (22)