SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coconut_nj

HAVE: Great box from Gellchom!!

coconut_nj
12 years ago

Oh Gellchom, I hope you didn't fret too much about getting this great box sent. You weren't the last by any stretch, I'm sure. I love everything in my box, including the cute message on the outside. Smiles.

Well people, I hope I do the contents justice in describing. We pick our mail up from the post office once a week these days so when Christy said there were two packages for me and I already knew Rita said my garlic was due to arrive today, boy did I get excited. All she saw was Sue on the box. Sue,,, Sue...hmm.. I had to go check the list of participants and ... voila, I figured out it had to be Gellchom. Correct deduction. Ok, fast forward to the arrival home. Since Gellchom made herself wait to open her cool magenta salad bowl and tongs until she sent my package I waited and opened her package second...heh.. On the outside of the box she had drawn some cute fireworks and said "Hi Coconut, this is your swap box". I tried to include it in the pictures but most got cut out.

Open the box, there is a card inside. I open the card. The front of card is this really cool picture a child had drawn, complete with castle and princess with cape and flowing hair. I turned the card over and started to cry. The card was drawn by Alona Frankel. It's one of a number of her childhood drawings used by the Holocaust Memorial Museum in D.C.. She's a children's book illustrator and wrote the Once Upon a Potty books and many other childhood learning books. A few years ago she also wrote a memoir of her childhood entitled, "A Girl". Check her out. An amazing woman. I'm so honored Susan that you would send me that particular card. You had no way of knowing but I collect children's literature.

Ok, after bawling my eyes out for five minutes I was ready to open the rest of the package. The first gift was this set of four really nice, incredibly soft, colorful napkins with neat napkin rings. We use cloth napkins a lot, especially with our summer corn and this will be well used. Nice. Second was a pretty handmade watermelon bowl. I love handcrafted items and the painting on it is nice. Rats, should have taken a pic of the back of it. Last but not least was a cookbook she got from her Alaska trip recently. Very cool! Has lots of Salmon recipes, bunch of sourdough recipes, all kinds of seafood recipes and as it says on front of it, a pictorial guide of the Inside Passage. Gellchom, I love the cookbook and we found a number of things to try soon, one of which happens to be an apple crisp recipe. LOL. They have a crab quesadilla, which sounds good and I can't remember making crab quesadillas, even though I'm a major crab lover. A blackberry polenta cobbler sounds interesting too. Many of the salmon recipes look great including a nice cioppino recipe. The bear tenderloin and elk nuggets do say you can sub beef. ...heh.. Ya did so good Susan. I love everything and will use it all this summer and long afterward. Thanks so very much for such a thoughtful swap box. What a great first swap for me.

The card. Can you imagine a child who spent so many years hidden, producing such beautiful fanciful drawings. One person who she was given to stay with sent drawings to her parents to prove she was alive. Her Father pulled her Mothers gold teeth to pay the woman to keep her.

My lovely presents. I love 100% cotton napkins. They absorb all that butter from the corn sooo good. lol.. Isn't the bowl cute? Really like the napkin rings that are part of the napkin set. 3 items.

Comments (29)