SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Upgrading Memory - is there a difference in brands?

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

My daughter's old Dell Dimension 4500 currently has 768MB RAM. It has a capacity of 1GB. I'm thinking of replacing one of the current 256MB Ram memory with a 512MB Ram memory (chip?). Windows XP SP2, 40GB hard drive, not bloated with lots of software. It has only a little software installed (AOL and McAfee, antispyware, printer software, itunes, Microsoft Office - not sure the year), mostly used for email, webkinz, itunes and some video burning - no editing. No documents files beyond about 15 cd's worth of music. I may add software from her camera and But just trying to update microsoft security updates, running secunia, opening AOL is taking a long time.

I have 2 questions? Is it worth it to increase memory from 768MB to 1GB RAM- will I see any improvement in speed? I had a computer guy here today taking an almost wiped clean computer (with reinstalled XP home and just enough to get it started) - and getting it ready to run with SP2 and AOL. He said he didn't think it was worth it to upgrade the 256MB RAM - but he also said it would cost about $100. The first thing I googled turned up this 512MB RAM that's compatible with this Dell - for about $20. Does it matter which brand memory I get? Is this something I can do myself so I don't pay the repair guy an arm and leg to come out here again? Below is information about this memory from Edge.

512MB PC-2100 DDR DIMM - Dell OEM# 311-1325

EDGE memory upgrades provide maximum power, speed, quality and reliability. The EDGE name ensures you are getting top-quality memory upgrades that meet or exceed the OEM's specifications and has passed through rigorous quality control processes. All EDGE ram memory upgrades are backed by a lifetime warranty.

Item Number: DELPC00512M3111325

Price: $20.96

Availability: In Stock

I'm sure there's lots of different brands of memory out there, but I'm not sure what to look for (beyond compatibility with this computer). Any suggestions? Can I do this myself?

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz