SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Name of cabinet that sits on top of vanity?

IÂm not sure what this is called, maybe someone can tell me. I will have to describe the set-up first, maybe someone has an inspiration for me or can help me think outside the box.

In my master bath we have a large double vanity. There are 2 sinks with about 4 feet in between. Each side has a basic 2 door formica wood-trimmed cabinet underneath and in between a big open space. In the model they presented this as a dressing table/vanity and had a stool underneath. I never used this space for this and instead have a laundry hamper and wastebasket under there. The "cultured marble" vanity top spans the whole length. We have a big potted plant in between the 2 sinks that serves to separate "my" area from my husbandÂs. There is a huge mirror that spans the whole length too. This vanity arrangement came with the house and is not ideal but we are not up for another from-scratch major renovation right now. I could use some more storage. Maybe I will reface the cabinets, the style does not match my bedroom furniture which is antique walnut, but donÂt want to spend a lot now. I would rather see if I can find a creative solution.

On a home improvement show I saw a bathroom vanity that had a cabinet, like a dresser, on top of the counter situated between the two sinks. It was set back a bit from the front edge, I think to avoid the look of "boxing" in the sinks. They had a huge mirror just like us, and this was set right in front. What I liked was that it had a series of shallow drawers, like 3 inches deep, which in my mind would be perfect for jewelry (thatÂs what I really want in there) or scarves/makeup/toiletries.

I am very open to building or adapting something. I am not a cabinet maker but am pretty good with wood and finishing, though not able to build case furniture myself. What would you call this when searching for one? Any ideas about how to adapt something?

Comments (4)