SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Is this Statuary Marble Vanity Top a Good Deal?

Nancy in Mich
9 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am still working on my bathroom design and materials, but we are buying things here and there. I am about to jump on some 12" x 12" Honed Carrara Marble tiles for the floor. I found this vanity top today on Craigslist. They are asking $325. It is 26" x 44" with an ogee finished edge. It fits into a corner on the left side, just as I will need it.

I will need to cut it down to 20" to 21" deep due to the issues with my floor plan and trying to make the room wheelchair accessible. I am going to use it with a Kohler Brockway 36" sink. It is an old-fashioned looking sink with a backsplash where two faucets are mounted. The basin is 8" deep and big enough for bathing toddlers and small dogs. The sink is 18" front to back, so I will likely have the marble cut as close to that as the stone will allow without breaking. This marble top is wider than I was planning, giving us a little more needed counter space to the sides. 4" on each side!

Here is the Brockway in a marble top on Houzz:

Traditional Bathroom by Vancouver General Contractors Kits Construction

So what do you think?
Is $325 a fair price for this vanity top, or should I just go to a stone yard?
Is it hard to get a stone worker to do the kind of major surgery this top will need if you bring in a sink and do not buy the top from him?
OR
Can I save money because the ogee edge is already done and the left side is cut square already? All I need for the stone worker to do is to cut the back off and cut out a big wide "U" shape for my sink.

Since the sink may be hanging on the wall, the vanity top may actually be sitting on wall brackets in the back and left side and legs in the front, or I may have the carpenter build a cabinet to support it all and to give me storage. I am not sure if the antique dresser I bought for this is going to work now that I have increased my door size in the room from 34" to 36". With no overhang at all, the antique dresser top is 21" deep.

In all reality, the Brockway is often hung on the wall. I don't mind doing that, but I do like some counter on either side. Since I only need about 4" on each side, I can get away with buying a door threshold for each side! Should I give up on the pretty ogee edges and just have my carpenter build me a vanity around the wall-mounted Brockway and throw some pretty tile - marble or not - on the counter?

The rest of the bathroom is going to be a walk-in ADA shower with a solid surface base and walls - likely in a white or gray and white, white wall tile with black sanitary base, chair rail and pencil trim with black tile also outlining the bathroom window and the two medicine cabinets. One med cabinet will be above the vanity, the other will be lower to accommodate a seated person. A small (1 ft deep, 18" wide) table will fold down against the wall for use when needed below the mirror. I do not have the floorspace to make this space a true vanity because I have to keep the floor open for my rolling walker that I sometimes use now, or a possible wheelchair in the future.

I am still contemplating the lighting. I have two large tube sconces. but now that the mirrors are no longer side-by side, I need more lights. I also have two vintage-looking med cabinets with metal framing. All of the metal is polished nickel.

Here is a link that might be useful: Craigslist ad for vanity top

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor