SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
essdana

Sliding glass shower door vs curtain for 96 x 51 bathroom

essdana
12 years ago

Please share your opinions in time for the pre-black friday sales!

This is a small, windowless basement bathroom (96" x 51") in a rental property. In a couple of years I will most likely turn it into a somewhat higher scale vacation/holiday rental in Washington DC.

In the current configuration the pedestal sink and the toilet are next to each other on the 96 inch wall. Also on that wall, the shower takes up 36 inches. So not a lot of space! This bathroom is off of a basement bathroom so it will get full daily use. I'm installing 12 x 12 slate tiles on the floor and 3 x 6 tiles of the same slate in the shower stall. Honed carrara marble tiles will line the 2 shower niches.

See below for my inspiration--thanks Yillimuh!

I've read pros and cons on this forum for both shower curtains and glass doors. Glass will visually open the space, but so would a shower curtain that is kept open (so you can also see the niche marble). I'm afraid that tenants won't maintain the glass (scratches, fogginess) so although I love the look of the frameless shower door, I don't think I should invest the money for it. Plus, seems like the Vigo ones get mixed reviews. Is there any other brand that is more consistently durable?

LOL, my contractor says he has to keep reminding me that this is RENTAL property, that I'm not going to live in it. But I used to live in this house and this is the renovation I always wanted to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: yillimuh's stylish DIY bath is my inspiration!

Comments (5)