SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffbyk_gw

How solid are the Laticrete Hydro Ban Pre-formed Shower Pans

jeffbyk
9 years ago

This is my first post here, but I have been reading and researching a lot about shower pans. I am remodeling my Master Bath and initially was planning to go traditional with the new shower pan installing the pre-slope/liner/mud deck system. (The shower is 36" x 48")

But it seems that the newer topical waterproofing approach has some strong upsides as far as installation complexity, drier overall shower systems and no apparent downside. So then I switched to planning to install the pre-slope mud deck with a flanged drain and using Hydro Ban.

Then I did more reading...So now my thinking has evolved to using a Hydro Ban pre-formed shower pan from Laticrete instead of messing with the deck mud and trying to get the slope and drain heights correct.

But I have a couple of questions that have me nervous about the pre-formed pans. I know these preformed foam products are lightweight, but does their lightness impact whether they provide a nice solid support when stepping on them? is there a noticeable difference in how it feels when standing/walking on tile floors over these pre-formed shower pans versus tile floors over deck mud?

The other question relates to the preformed curb that comes with the shower pan. The spec says that the overlay form should be used with a 2x4 structure if frameless glass doors will be used with hinge pins. I want to go frameless and don't think I will need the pin-style hinges that mount to the curb, but I don't know enough about these doors to know if that is more common that not. Is it a safe assumption that I can avoid needing to mount to the curb?

I am approaching paralysis by analysis here and hoping I can get one final nudge and move in a the best direction.

Thanks for your help!

Comments (19)