SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess111_gw

Tile Shower Waterproofing?

jess111
15 years ago

I can't believe how much harder bathrooms are to research than kitchens!

We have a one piece acrylic shower that we want to get rid of and tile (I may do a cast iron pan, not sure I really want or trust the tile floor)....

So I got one estimate, and reading here about kerdi, I don't really understand what that is. I also read stuff about plastic liners, tar paper, etc, but I don't understand the applications for each. I THINK behind my acrylic shower is greenboard-at least that's my assumption. Above the acrylic abut 2 feet is tile, and the ceiling of the shower is tiled right now too.

I asked the tile guy about waterproofing, and he told me he always uses easyboard, which is like a foam stuff. I read some good and bad about it while researching. He said that there is no liner or anything used behind the ezboard, and I'm not sure if the easyboard goes up in PLACE of or on TOP of the greenboard. He told me using any plastic behind the board would cause a definite mildew problem and ruin the job, so he said it's just the tile attached straight to the easyboard. I asked if he puts the kerdi stuff or other waterproofing stuff over, and he said that he can do whatever I want him too, but I would be throwing away money.

Then I stopped at a flooring place, and was told that Kerdi is my best bet, right over the drywall. Is that really the best method? It seems counterintuitive I guess, and I don't know if the tile guy I got knows about kerdi. The other issue is that the drywall will likely be damaged when I removed the tile, so what do I replace it with? More greenboard? Cement board (not sure if cement board can be used without drywall) I am so confused, and not sure what I'm looking for in a tile guy or a job.

So is easyboard (attached to drywall or not) waterproof enough for a shower? Where do I begin?

Comments (18)