SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
constant_gardner

Best way to waterproof seam between floor tile and shower pan

constant_gardner
14 years ago

First, I'm new so apologies if this has been discussed interminably before, but I did search and couldn't find an answer.

Secondly, I've been lurking a while and have had many questions answered for me already, so thanks to all y'all for help already given.

I'm in the middle of an upstairs bathroom remodel, which is becoming exponentially more involved as the days progress. I've pulled out the old bath, and ripped up the floor tile, and will be replacing the bath with a walk in shower, and relaying ceramic tiles on top of the plywood subfloor.

However, the floor under the bath, and under the tile has become rotten over the last 30 years or so, and I'm going to need to replace the subfloor as well. It looks as though water has dripped down the side of the bath when the shower was used, and seeped between the join between the tile floor and the side of the bath, and rot ensued.

I'd like to avoid this happening, I know I'm not going to be replacing it in 30 years time, but it'd be nice if the guy who has to, doesn't call me the names that I've been using to describe the original contractor ;)

I'm planning on tiling with thinset - ditra - thinset - tile, and then sealing the tile. The shower base that I'm using is one of the swanstone veritek prefab bases, and I'm also putting swanstone shower surround walls and a kohler sliding glass door.

So, how should one best seal the joint between the shower pan and the tile?

Part of my problem is that the pan has to be laid level, and so I can't build up the surface beneath the front of the pan too much. Otherwise I'd just extend the ditra beneath the shower pan.

I was thinking about putting a layer of redguard down on top of the plywood subfloor, is there a problem with doing that? Or should I run the ditra under the entire floor, including under the shower pan? Or is there another technique?

cheers

Comments (4)