SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Are you a Black Friday shopper?

wizardnm
15 years ago

I am not a good sale shopper. I was reading an article though that mentioned a good Internet site for checking out the deals for Black Friday.

So I checked it out..... Now I wish I didn't have to work.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: got a deal

Comments (57)

• obxgina
    15 years ago

Sooo Annie are you done your shopping? I am very jealous, if you are!
    Many years ago when I lived in Pa. my sister and I would go to little country stores on Black Friday, ALWAYS avoided the malls and all the traffic!

• dgkritch
    15 years ago

Went a couple of times, hated it, not going again.
    I don't NEED anything in the first place, I make many of my gifts so what's the point??

I'll be baking or just relaxing, sipping my coffee.
    Mmmmm.....my kind of day.

Deanna

• Related Discussions

Are you a Black Friday shopper?

Q

Comments (35)
    It's only a matter of time before the big-box stores start selling camping gear, umbrellas, and jackets a week before Black Friday at steep discounts. Then they could sell $200 worth of stuff to everyone who camps out in line for 24 hours so they can be near the front of the line hoping to get a shot at buying one of the four $99 flat-screen TVs the store actually has in stock when the doors open at 5 a.m. That way they'd sell even more stuff people don't really need. That way, they can sell even more stuff we don't really need. Me, I decided I could save myself even more money by not buying anything this BF, although it's the first time I've done that this decade. The online sales are better; I don't have to wait in line for those (although they can be hard to log onto on BF, and they too run out of stuff quickly). Really, most of the stuff I bought on Black Friday was for myself, not gifts. I'm way too much of a procrastinator to have a Christmas list ready until mid-December, and these days I just buy slightly-used items online at even steeper discounts than BF sales offer. The real gift-shopping frenzy is usually on the Saturday before Christmas.
    ...See More

Did you know this about Black Friday?

Q

Comments (7)
    Being in retail a long time I'm not surprised at all. Hopefully people will object with their wallets. This is another one that slays me....when large chains offers sales. In my state (Illinois) this is part of the consumer protection laws: It is an unfair or deceptive act for a seller to compare current price with its former (regular) price for any product or service, unless one of the following criteria are met: a) the regular price is equal to or below the price at which the seller made a substantial number of sales of such products in the recent regular course of its business; b) the former price is equal to or below the price at which the seller offered the product for a reasonably substantial period of time. I find extremely unlikely the big chains bring in merchandise and let it sit a full price for any period of time. But customers like to believe they are getting items on sale. Here is a good article on those "deals". Here is a link that might be useful: their usual tricks
    ...See More

Did you know this about Black Friday?

Q

Comments (26)
    I have a related issue pertaining to a recent online purchase my 16-year-old DD made for a pair of Ugg boots. It seems the transaction was for an online store in the UK and boots shipped directly from China. I only realized this after she placed the order and when the boots came in I wondered if they were counterfit; esp. as they came wrapped in plastic in a brown paper envelope (no Ugg shoe box). DD felt the quality was inferior to her friends who bought in stores. When I looked into the company in more detail they have a very restrictive return policy and seller pays the cost to return. DH is skeptical we'd even get our money back unless we dispute it with our credit card. I don't know if we could dispute it or not as we have no proof the boots are not what they say they are (they do look like Uggs and have the Ugg label), plus I assume we'd have to pay the cost to return to China. We paid $80 (or about 1/2 price what you pay in the store). So are they just a version made by Ugg but inferior quality for an online store, counterfit or are they genuine? Right now we're about ready to chalk this up as a valuable lesson for DD in being a savvy shopper and checking return policies more carefully next time unless anyone else has other suggestions?
    ...See More

Do you agree?? Black Friday

Q

Comments (34)
    This is what I was talking about, not intended for those that love the joy of Black Friday shopping. Even if there are occasional instances, it sheds a bad light. I have no complaint against Black Friday, just what happens some times and this is one of the ones: -- A woman suspected of showering Black Friday shoppers with pepper spray surrendered to authorities but was released pending further investigation after she refused to discuss the incident, police said Saturday. The woman, whose name was not released, is suspected of firing pepper spray into a crowd in order to clear a path to a crate of Xbox video game players that were being unwrapped late Thanksgiving night at a Walmart in the upscale Porter Ranch section of the San Fernando Valley. The suspect got away in the confusion, and it was not known if she bought one of the Xboxes. Ten people suffered minor injuries from the spray and 10 others sustained cuts and bruises in the ensuing chaos. "Last night at 8:30 the suspect involved in the pepper spray incident at the Porter Ranch Walmart turned herself in," police Sgt. Jose Valle said Saturday. She immediately invoked her right against self-incrimination, however, and refused to discuss the incident further. Police released her pending further investigation. Valle said investigators still have nearly a dozen witnesses to interview, including several spraying victims. He added it would likely be at least two days before an arrest in the case could be made. If the woman who surrendered is indeed the person who sprayed the crowd she could face battery charges.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    15 years ago

Gina, yes I'm done. Well, my mother's hasn't been delivered yet, but it's ordered and paid for.

Elery's family drew names so I only had to get one for his side of the family. He and I agreed not to exchange gifts and instead take a trip somewhere warmer in February. My girls are getting cash and Bud and Makayla wanted specific items which I already bought. I'm about halfway done with wrapping too. My stepmother wanted a gift certificate to her hairdresser for a cut and color, so that was easy enough.

My December will be spent making gingerbread castles and watching the Christmas specials and baking cookies and generally enjoying Christmas instead of the usual rush to buy and/or spend. Heck, I might even learn to enjoy Christmas again!

Well, that's what I WISH I were doing, anyway. Actually, Elery's youngest grandson is having his first birthday party on December 6, so I'll be there for that. The next weekend we're supposed to visit his father and stepmother in Ohio, we haven't been there since June. The following weekend is his family Christmas, so I need to be at his house again, that's 3 weekends in a row. My family Christmas is on Christmas Eve and I want to take Amanda and the kids to Toledo to the zoo sometime on Christmas break.

Since I'm working 60 or 70 hours per week and running the farm pretty much alone, There's going to be no time for shopping any more this year.

Annie

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

NO WAY, NO WAY!!! Where I live it would take you anywhere from 45 mins. to an hour just to get a parking space and I am not lying!!!

All of my shopping is done for both sides of my family. Internet shopping and Mr. UPS is grand! I listen for things that people mention that they want and I buy it early in the year too.

I can't stand crowds and the pushing and shoving and it does happen here. People can be brutal at the holiday time when they want a deal. I don't understand it all. Ruins the holiday spirit for me.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Like others NO WAY!!

I went once and Raymond won't let me forget it. He was suppose to be released from the hospital Black Friday morning. I went to the hospital early but of course the Dr. didn't show and the sales weren't going to wait. I called my SIL to pick me up at the hospital and handed Raymond the keys to my car. Needless to say he was embarrassed when the nurse wheeled him to the front of the hospital and he got up and walked to the car.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Call me sadistic, but I went for the first time last year and got hooked.

But ONLY if DH and I are looking for something specific!

Last year, we got a $350, small flat screen TV with a DVD player for $38!!!! (that's with the sale plus coupon, plus gift cards). We had our eye on it before the sale, and when we found out it was going on sale, we decided to tough it out.

This year, our regular TV bit the bullet, so we'll be doing the same. It helps to tag-team, get there early, early, early, and bring walkie-talkies. I can be on one side of the store fighting the crowds looking, and he can be on the other, and we can use the walkie-talkies to get in and get out. Divide and conquer!

I also have my eye on a really nice digital SLR camera that I've been saving $$ to buy for months. It's been on sale recently, so I'm hoping they'll chop it even more for Black Friday.

It's the thrill of the hunt!

• User
    15 years ago

Goodness, no.

I really don't like shopping anymore, since I don't need much. I do most of my gift shopping on the internet, always great bargains and no crowds.

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

I hate to say it, but since my mom passed Christmas doesn't mean much to me anymore. I wish I could say otherwise, but she loved the holiday and decorated to a crazy degree, even though she was blind and couldn't see the displays. I want to be happy but even after 3 years I just can't. I will go through the motions but my heart just isn't in it. I have my memories of past years to keep me enthralled, but I just will never be excited about the holiday again. Sigh.

Duane

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

I would not miss it! I am out the door around 5-6 am, depending on the stores I want to hit. No makeup, sweats on, hair brushed and so are the teeth and off I go. I do avoid the Best Buy/electronics places, but Home Depot, Target, Penneys are fair game for me. I have found some wonderful deals over the years. My $15 DVD player is doing just fine as is the $5 crockpot and the stick blender from past years. The $10 coffee maker works very well for parties too as the decaf pot.

I have been checking BlackFriday.com for days now, and I know tha tI will be at HD for the .99 flowers and some power tools. Not sure about the rest.

Generally I am home by 10 am. Past years Mom and I would stop for breakfast after, them a nap. Dinner is leftovers.

This year I have a massage at 1 pm, then my nap.

Duane, I know the feeling but I am trying to keep it going. Never say never. The tree will go up next weekend and I am even planing some baking this year. I haven't been able to do that in years.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Well for the first time EVER..I'm almost done with my shopping..just a few stocking stuffers and 1 specific thing for my middle son..Little son's "wish list" is crossed off. All the original items.(He does add things as the commercials are gearing up!)
    They went short with lists this year..just three things each on the first draft..LOL
    Santa hasn't finished shopping though...

The oldest wants spending money or a GC to his favorite online clothing retailer...I told him for me for Christmas he can get a JOB! LOL

My mom's gift is arranged...Now my brother and his wife..I dunno....

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

You go, PK! She'd want it that way!
    My dad was buried on Cmas eve when I was a teenager...bittersweet, but still Christmas is a reason to celebrate!

• jcrowley99
    15 years ago

I do the same as PK, hit select stores. Every year I go to Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Sears Hardware, and Micheal's. My husband would go with me to Ace, then go to Curcuit City (which is in the same lot as HD and Micheal's) while I went to the others. Then He leaves me at Kohls for their early bird specials while he and my son enjoy a leasurely breakfast. I get some great deals. I have to check out the Blackfriday website.

Joanne

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

I love to shop, but not between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I've never ventured out to any Black Friday events. For a number of years now, I've done most of my Christmas shopping on line. Getting older - scaling back - living in a remote area. UPS and FedEx are good friends with my dogs at this point lol.

seagrass

• traceys
    15 years ago

No, No, NEVER. There is no sale or special good enough to get me out shopping on that day. I can't stand shopping as it is.

I do the schedule where I work. I had a few people request off Black Friday last January.

Now shopping on line is another story. It's my mission to find the best deals with coupons and discounts.

Enjoy your shopping everyone! I'll be at my computer Black Friday and Cyber Monday.

Tracey

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't have many to shop for but getting out this time of year does seem to put me into the spirit of the season. We are heading downstate on Monday. I love to shop just before the crowds hit.

This year we are going to find a couple of families that won't have a Christmas. There's been job cuts everywhere around here. Maybe I can play Santa Claus and help. I always feel sorry for the kids....

Nancy

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

That's nice of you Nancy..we used to do that through hubbies work..but they don't adopt families anymore..and we can't "help much" by ourselves..it worked for us to be part of a group. "pooling" our money...

• triciae
    15 years ago

We are not shopping this year. Period. For nobody...not even the grandkids. Our entire budget has already gone to our local food bank. Our family doesn't 'need' anything. Presents would be just more stuff to store & keep clean. We are having a family get-together between T-Day & Christmas with a big meal & to celebrate the reasons for the season. On T-Day, we're delivering dinners to shut-ins from our food bank. DH is taking vacation time 'cause it's our 25th anniversary. On Friday, I'll roast a stuffed chicken, make mashed potatoes/gravy, & a pie of some sort. Good enough. Then, we're heading out on the road for awhile...destination unknown. I can hardly wait! It's been a tough year. DH is mentally fried & still recovering from the car accident. That night, we thought he wasn't hurt...but, he was/is. It'll be months before he's back to normal. Shopping is just the last thing on our minds this year. DS & DDIL move the day after Christmas so they are downsizing their normal activities also. None of us are in the mood for extravegant celebrations. We'll wait until after Black Friday to hit the road to avoid traffic snarls on southbound I-95. Maybe, Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head, Winterthur...Lancaster County? We'll go wherever we find ourselves.

/tricia

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I'd rather die. If I can't buy it online or make it, I don't need it or want it.

• beanthere_dunthat
    15 years ago

Heavens, no. Not even if they are giving the stuff away.

Tricia, we're on the same page. :) I just got rid of a bunch of stuff and the last thing I need or want is to acquire more clutter. Everyone's said they really don't want anything either...except the kids, and they already have more than they know what to do with. Their parents said "NO MORE STUFF", so we told them to pick a charity and we'd make that their gift, so they want honeybee donations via Heifer.org. DH will be home that week since freight is non-existent right now. We plan to just cook a nice meal, listen to some good music and hope for snow.

• donnar57
    15 years ago

NO WAY. I will stay home and enjoy the silence. My MIL and oldest daughter love to get out on BF, but I'd rather not.

Last year, we flew home from MO on Black Friday. The airport was nice and quiet, and the flight wasn't too crowded. This year, we are having our Thanksgiving on BF, because DH has to work on Thanksgiving. DD#2 has to work on Black Friday (she works retail) so we'll eat after she gets off.

I've started to shop already, but I'm definitely not done. Last year we finished our shopping two days before Christmas.

DonnaR/CA

• triciae
    15 years ago

I read 10-20 newspapers online every day. This showed up in the Denver Post...

It's going on all around the country & the reason we've donated our holiday budget to the food bank this year. The woman running our local program told me they're overwhelmed this year & have resigned themselves to being unable to serve a meal to everybody in need. State & town funds are exhausted. Our local business community is really stepping to the plate. You know those cards we all receive this time of year from merchants we frequent...the ones that say, "Thank you for your patronage during 2008. As a thank you we'd like to give you this 20% off certificate." Instead, we're receiving cards saying the store is increasing its donation to the Food Bank. Hopefully, we'll be able to meet the need. Thanksgiving '07, we were 800 meals short & it's been bugging me all year.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Denver Farm Inundated For Free Veggies

• annie1992
    15 years ago

You know, it's funny, but every year when I'm done canning and freezing, etc., I tell everyone I know that they can have anything left in the garden, green beans, corn, potatoes, if they just come and pick it.

Not one person ever shows up to pick it, but they'll gladly take anything I'll pick and deliver to them. Yeah, right....

Annie

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Annie, I would have been glad to have that offer when I was young and just starting out. I lived in an apartment above a garage when I worked for a small radio station making about 100.00 a week. Someone gave me left over produce, mostly potatoes but some carrots and other things as well. I could have cried. It was like gold from heaven. When you have very little and are hungry farm fresh produce is awesome. Actually it's awesome even if you have money. Nothing better than fresh. Shame on those folks.

Duane

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Did you read about the 40,000 that showed up at a Colorado farm for an advertised free gleaning?

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Please don't make me. I suspect Alice will take off with friends but I will hunker down at home.

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Annie, tell me when to come get it and I will. I have a big problem with food going to waste. It must be from having heard the tales of my grandparent and parents during WW2 and going hungry, the likes of which we have never seen, that did it for me. My father tells of the winter they only had 200 pounds of potaoes and 4 old sheep for 5 people. Others suffered more that is for sure. I just hope the geese and other animals can get it.

Anyone notice that the friday ads are already out?

• loagiehoagie
    15 years ago

Two years ago when I was just starting my company times were lean. I took a part time job at Kohls in the morning 5a-9a. Some of the management was great but there were a few real B(%##$#ths. I work and work hard, but for 5.25 an hour there is a limit to this (then 48 year old) body can take. I quit the week before Thanksgiving. They were not happy but tough ($#*#. The thought of being in a store on black friday, especially as the doors opened made me shudder then and shudder now. There is no material possession worth fighting for to save a few bucks. No way. No how.

Duane

• Lars
    15 years ago

I heard about the Colorado free gleaning that Tricia posted on the morning news here last week. It seemed like a good idea and somehow reminded me of when the Symbionese Liberation Army demanded that Randolph Hearst donate free food to the needy in San Francisco. I got a block of cheese out of that.

I don't shop of Black Friday, but when I don't generally shop in stores that have BF sales. These days I do quite a bit of shopping on line - or at least information gathering, and the last sale I went to was an Employees & Friends of Sony Electronics at the Sony lot in Culver City. DB got me in, since he is a Sony employee, and we got some great deals on a Blu-ray player, AV surround sound amplifier (to work with the player), MP3 player (which I loved on the plane from L.A. to Austin), new car stereo (mine had conked out, and the new one works with my new MP3 player), and some extra memory for the Blu-ray player, as well as some discounted cables that we needed. Of course we then found out that we needed a new TV to be compatible with Blu-ray, and I bought one of those about a week later for a good price at Best Buy. I don't know whether Best Buy has BF sales, but I won't be there, since I will be with my parents on the farm that day. DM will definitely NOT go shopping on that day. She lives in the country, and the nearest mall is about 10 miles away. Because the town only has about 60,000 people, I don't find the traffic there a problem, unless key roads are under construction, which was the case last year. I saved a copy of the local newspaper description of the traffic "mess", as it was described. I should have sent a copy to Jay Leno - it was pretty hilarious, although not probably so for those involved who had to experience it.

Lars

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

NO WAY!!!!

• Tracey_OH
    15 years ago

The hours are getting earlier and earlier it seems. Kohls is opening at 4:00 am this year! And I got an email from the Polo Outlet store and they are actually going to have a midnight sale! I used to go, but I LOVE to shop. I'm someone who gets happy walking in the mall. I haven't gone the last few years because my parents have been in town and I have small children who need me here. Usually now if there's something we are really interested in, my DH will head out and try and get it.

• triciae
    15 years ago

For those planning on hitting the stores tomorrow...might want to stay home & check liquidators.com & overstock.com instead.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: Retails Already Dumping Merchandise To Liquidators

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

I won't be going tomorrow BUT I did send Raymond out this morning to Sports Authority with a script on how the transaction should go down as he isn't a savvy shopper. Tuesday we bought an Air Hockey Table for Beau for half price.

Today there was a 25% off coupon for anything at SA. We hadn't taken the 128# box out of his truck so he shows up saying he wants to return it then buy it back with the 25% coupon. Raymond had to practice the script before he walked into the store. He called me five minutes later -- WOW it only took 5 minutes and they just gave him a $50.

$400 air hockey table--$140.

• shaun
    15 years ago

Cathy!!!!!! hahahahahaha!!!!!! Loved that story you told about Raymond getting out of the hospital!!

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Done! Alarm at 5 am, up at 5:15, out the door at 5:45 to Home Depot for 20 poinsettia's at .99 each, around the corner to Menards but 6:10. Menards was a zoo with lines for checkout the length of the store aisles. Poor Dad was placed in line while I did some extra shopping but we were home by 7:15. I was thinking of Kohls, but went on line instead.

Nap time now, then a message and leftovers for dinner. I may bring the tree up tonight and start that mess.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Well you couldn't pay me to brave the herd of shoppers on your Black Friday or our "Boxing Day" sale. But I would love to read about all the wonderful bargins you get today. I hope you will all post like Peppi and Cathy.

Ann

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

To AnnT's request. DD loves jewelry, I just got this necklace of assorted pearls for her for $45.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jessyf
    15 years ago

I'm still in bed.

Can't think of anything I want/need for now.

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Darn Jessy, I was just heading out on a special trip to get something for you!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Get me a peeled grape, Cathy! Or better yet, a grape peeler (I'M KIDDING)

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Well we don't have a black Friday here and even if we did I would not be there!

However I do have a "happy dance" story! Two weeks ago I went to the mall because Meredith needed tights and it's way easier for me to go mid week than for her to go on the weekend when the stores are so busy.

So off I go to Sears and I buy her two pairs of tights, on sale 30% off. It was a huge sale day at Sears, everything was 30 - 40 % off, not that I knew.

I'm happy but it was also "scratch and sniff" day , I didn't have a card but the clerk scratched one for me and it was for 50% off........ 50% off the sale price and just about everything was on sale!

The card is suppose to be for that sale only but the clerk was such a sweetie she told me to go shopping and bring everything back to her.

Luckily I had already gotten some wish list ideas from Chris and Amity so off I ran. Cuisinart's 4 Way Griddler, KitchenAid hand blender and a Hamilton Beech Juicer,

plus ......PJ's for all, socks, boxers, scarf and mitt set, sweater for Chris and one for Clive, PJ's for my niece, three casual jean type sweaters for me, two bras for me and a pair of dress boots for Meredith.

So I got 30-40% off the regular price and then 50% off that ...the whole ticket was just over $300 and bonus is I got most of my Christmas shopping done!

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Sharon, you lucky girl!

Cathy, will you adopt me?(not htat I need more jewelry) That is stunning!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Peppi, Now that you mention it--that is your style.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I NEVER shop black Friday but I did yesterday. I had to get some things and it was the only day I could go. Working 70 hour weeks (including Saturdays) hasn't left much time for shopping. What a nightmare! When you are out of work and living off your savings, no amount of discount is meaningful. Appreciated, yes, but any kind of shopping is still a very painful experience.

I have to go out today to take some things back--I got home and realized the pants I bought were too long. I don't know what it is this year, but the designers think all women need extra long pants so we can wear them with our stilettos. Um, I DON'T THINK SO! We'll see if the "short" ones are any better. Also, I hate "boot cut" and bell bottoms, so it is epic to try and find straight leg pants, even more epic than usual for pants shopping. That's why I am so desperate for new pants--I've been waiting and waiting for the bell bottom/boot cut trend to go out of style.

P.S. How can she be "out of work" and still working 70 hours a week you may ask. I ask myself that all the time. I'm working 3 part time jobs, that's how. And still cannot quite make ends meet.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

chase, that was one lucky shopping expedition; I always wondered if anyone ever got the 50% scratch cards at the bay or sears. I always get the 10%.

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

I went to Target in the afternoon for a few necessities (I live 2 blocks away and walked). No crowds at all. I guess they were there at 6:30 am and I missed them. Also, this Target location may be losing some business to the Walmart superstore about a 1/2 mile away.

• robinkateb
    15 years ago

Chase, I love that story!!

I do not go out on Black Friday. I work part time in retail and it is quite a trick that I don't work the weekend after Thanksgiving, I am not going to go shopping.

Annie, here the food banks will come and glean, as does the school food programs. There was even a group who had folks sponsor them to glean for the school food program. The money they raised helped to support another non-profit and the butternut squash will be used for the public schools. Some folks also list gleaning opportunities on freecycle.

-Robin

• lakeguy35
    15 years ago

I was roped into this many years ago and all I'll say is never again...LOL! I like to shop and all but I'll pass on this one.

My prayers go out to the family of the Walmart employee in NY....there is something so wrong with that happening.....

David

• lowspark
    15 years ago

We had a great time shopping in San Marcos on Friday. Got some great bargains. There were so many mark downs plus x% off plus an additional percentage off before noon, etc.

I LOVE the pottery barn outlet store. They always have some wonderful deals. I bought a very pretty cut glass salad bowl with the matching individual bowls, original price for the large bowl was $30 and with the discount I thought it was gong to ring up as $12. It rang up at $7.97. With similar price cuts on the individual bowls, it was just too cheap not to get a second set to give as a gift so I had her ring up extras and ran back an got more. This same scenario has happened to me multiple times at that store.

Bought a bunch more stuff, some needed, much not needed but all great deals. Then we went to dinner at a local steak place and that's where the trouble started. I got food poisoning. I started feeling bad about an hour into the drive home and ended up unswallowing all night and into the next morning. Ugh. Slept most of the day Sat and Sun, and although I'm at work today, my stomach and surrounding muscles are still sore and tender today.

This morning on NPR, they had a story about the San Marcos outlets! The stores opened at midnight TG (we arrived at 845 am) and apparently there were MILES of cars waiting in line to get in. Most of that had cleared out by the time we arrived as we were able to get a parking space without much effort. I do love to shop, but waiting in that kind of traffic, no thanks! I think we have it timed just right!

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

May, "unswallowing" -- sorry to hear that, no really! While I don't like going out on Friday, I think I would have enjoyed going with you to San Marcos.

• lowspark
    15 years ago

Cathy,
    It's really a lot of fun... if you have the right attitude. My philosophy is I'm there to get great bargains, but not the one-in-a-million deal that people go crazy over. I'm prepared to wait in line at the cash register and not be impatient. Come to think of it, I don't think I waited more than about 7-8 minutes in any one line and most of the time there was no line at all!

I don't really have any real agenda. If I find stuff I need or the right gift for someone, then all the better. If not, so be it. If you ever want to join me, I'd be thrilled to have you come along! We won't eat at that restaurant again though! :(