SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakeguy35

Ooh Rah!! It's official, he's a Marine!...Pics

lakeguy35
15 years ago

Most of you know I don't have kids of my own but this guy and his younger brother are a big part of my life. Their father has never been in the picture....I've did my best to fill the gap over the years so I consider them my boys for the most part....

I'm so d@mned proud of this guy that I dont' know what to say...not happy with his choice... I would never tell him that.....just supporting him 110%! It's what he wants and that's all that matters to me.

Our trip was fast and furious, not to mention that all of our days started early and ended late. He left last August for camp and our only contact with him with was letters. This is a short version of our trip...wanted to share it with y'all as he asked and mentioned my cooking pals during his training and wanted to know what new things we would be eating while he was on leave before reporting back.

Anyway, we left for San Diego on Wednesday arrived there late in the afternoon. After fighting with a GPS thing and getting lost we finally arrived an the MRCD....I know I mentioned Pendleton in my original post but the training camp is in the heart of SD....next to the airport. We were only two miles from the camp but managed to get lost for a while...LOL!

Like I said, they start early in the Marines and we were up at five on Thursday to see them practice there final drill and march for graduation. This is a pic of our first glance of him. NO physical contact or verbal..that is very embaressing to a Marine during this time. A very emotional time for us and others.....there are no words to explain the feeling...he is third back in the front line, you can't see the fourth guy.

{{gwi:1456432}}

Later in the day we were invited to the theater to view a film telling us about the training and we also met the drill intructors and their assistanst. Very informative to say the least. From what we/I learned this is the most intense and hardest training program in the military.

Later that day they were given liberty for family day...five hours to spend with family and friends. Here is a pic just before the were released for the afternoon. He is in the first row second back.

{{gwi:1456433}}

We spent some time with the rest of the platoon and their families and then went back to our rooms on base and listened to the details of the trials of training and boot camp. After that we went to the family day dinner at the Bayview Restuarant on base. Here are a couple of pics....

DN and DS...she is a happy and pround Mother....

{{gwi:1456434}}

Me and my bud....

{{gwi:1456436}}

Friday was the official graduation for India Company and their seven platoons. Here are a few pics of a great performance and the traditions that have been carried on for many years.

The Band was great the day before and on the day of graduation. They did a little jazz number that remindred me of Mardi Gras.

{{gwi:1456438}}

Here they come across the parade deck.

{{gwi:1456439}}

DN is second from the right in this pic.

{{gwi:1456440}}

Another of his platoon.

{{gwi:1456441}}

His platoon.

{{gwi:1456442}}

India Company marching in on the parade deck.

{{gwi:1456441}}

Here he is with DB,DGM,and his DM.

{{gwi:1456443}}

Last pic with his younger DB.

{{gwi:1456444}}

I have to brag and tell you that he was one of 15 that made Private Frist Class in his platoon. Also, Squad Leader in his platoon. The platoon leader(guy in the black jacket and carry the platoon flag in the pics) was from South Grand Lake. He used to bag my groceries....small world for sure. They didn't know each other and he didn't remember me but I did remeber him. We were all on the same flight back to OK with another kid from India Company...different platoon but very cool all the same.

He did get recruiters assistant, that gives him an extra 10 days of leave....woo hoo! Then he will report to Pendleton for three months of more training and then he will be assigned to a base and I'm sure deployed. As it stands now he wants to make a this career. We will see what happens over the next four years... love the heck out of this guy and support him and others in the military no matter the country or the branch they may be serving in.

Just had to share a little of this with y'all....you are and will continue to be a part of our lives...food and then some....

Ooh Rah...it's a Marine thing along with a lot of others....LOL!

David

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz