SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

I'm an official stoner now! - photos

rgillman
16 years ago

I have to say I was a bit apprehensive about this, after all the horror stories. I am happy to report that all is well.

Here's the truck with my stone.

This is the corner piece that I was so concerned about because it had to be cut JUST SO.

It's a shame that tomorrow it will be covered up because the cabinet that holds the Advantium will sit on top of all this beautiful stone. But there was no other way. Here is the corner, installed. The cabinet will be set back 3 or 4 inches, so at least the beautiful jogs will still be seen.

Neither the floor nor the cabinets were exactly level, so it took Jay and his assistant lots of time to make sure the counter was level. My biggest angst was where to drill the hole for the filter faucet...but there it is. Jay drilled and set the faucets in to see how they look but they won't be permanently installed till tomorrow. Then I'll be able to clean up the sink. I have a can of Barkeeper's Friend. The dark spots on the counter are where I wiped it down with water to get some of the dust off and it hadn't quite dried.

Here is the island piece on the truck.

and here it is installed. I LOVE this island piece!

My favorite part, exactly where I wanted it!

Interestingly, this piece has some gold flecks in it that you can see when the light is just right.

"SO," you are probably saying to yourselves, "what's the deal here? Why doesn't she oil it?" BECAUSE she likes it this way. Jay was shaking his head - he wanted to oil it and I said NO. Shook his head and said I was making a mistake -- but hey, he said, it's YOUR kitchen. Right. There is no question it looks different when it is oiled - I have seen all of your pix. It even looks different with just water on it. Jay warned me that it will get blotchy and anyway, will darken on its own. I just wasn't emotionally ready. And when Marty (aka DH) walked in tonight and saw the stone, he declared "I LOVE IT! Don't oil it." My goodness - he had the same response as I did. So, it stays, for now, a greenish,bluish,grayish, light color. When Jay comes back next week to put in the vanity top (the vanity came in wrong size and we don't have it yet), he will be disappointed. I suspect that eventually, I may put a coat of that nice oil he left me with - but not yet. I can't explain it.

I asked Marty if he was prepared to love it - and he said no. He said he thought it would be nice, but didn't expect to have that visceral reaction. He's really happy and so am I.

BTW - Jay told me that Green Mountain Original comes from a quarry in the Santa Rita area, so it is really similar to M.Teixeira's Santa Rita Venata. Many of the stones from different vendors come from the same place but they give them different names for marketing purposes. Live and learn.

Comments (26)