SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

What to do? Mother's wedding dress (pic heavy)

DLM2000-GW
10 years ago

My mom's been gone 20 years now and I have been *the keeper of stuff* including her wedding dress and a flapper-type dress my grandmother made and beaded. Slowly but surely I'm cleaning out in preparation to downsize and don't know what on earth to do with either item. Neither one has been preserved in anyway and I've stored them as I received them (don't yell at me) on padded hangers covered with cloth dress bags.

My parents were married in 1938, the dress was yellowed when I first saw it as a teen - it was an off white/candlelight color originally. It's bias cut silk velvet with beautiful beading. The rib cage area of the dress just under the bust measures at 25", the waist at 22" and the upper arm at 8". It has a side zip from under the arm to just below the hip so someone would have to be really tiny and shimmy up into it. I have 2 unmarried sons but am not foolish enough to think that a future DIL will be interested if it would even fit most modern girls. It was a November wedding, so long sleeves, long train.....

sleeve detail

back detail

And then the flapper dress. My grandmother always make most of her own clothes. This is another silk velvet, hand beaded. I believe she made it in the 50's for a party and am reasonably certain that it's not original to the flapper period, but just a re-creation of the look. I actually wore this for a fashions through the decades charity show. It has a matching beaded piece with a rosette made from the fabric to be worn either hanging off center at the hip or wrapped as a head piece across the forehead. It has tiny buttons down the side under the arm but is loose enough that I can easily slip it over my head.

What do I do with them?

Comments (28)