SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brant_ix

Final Round: French Door KitchenAid vs GE Profile!

brant_ix
16 years ago

Hello All...

Hope this post finds you well this very early AM. I have been up most of the night trying to decide between the new

KitchenAid Architect II French Door Free Standing KBFS25ETSS and the GE Profile French Door PFSS5NJW Refrigerator/Freezers.

We have a new house with a #1 rated KitchenAid Dishwasher, a slide in KitchenAid Glass Top range, and a Whirlpool Gold Microwave. The only thing left is the fridge.

I have done my research and have come to the conclusion that I do not want an LG, Samsung, Kenmore Elite, Frigidare or Whirlpool/Amana Family because of the 1 Year Warranty.

I was all set to go with the KitchenAid until the Sales Rep caught me looking at the GE Profile. Both are extremely nice and offer extended warranties as opposed to the one year.

I know most of you know the details already so please forgive me for the reiteration.

The KitchenAid Offers a 1 / 5 / 10 year warranty

1 Year for entire fridge

5 Year for Lining, Compressor, Condensor, etc

10 Year for Compressor, Condensor, and remaining sealed parts.

The GE Profile offers a 1 / 5 w Labor Costs

1 Year for entire fridge

5 Year for Lining, Compressor, Condensor, etc

The GE is about $250.00 more and has the Water on the outside of the right hand door.

SO, it all comes down to brand reliability.

The Amana AFD2535DE is the parent model for the new KitchenAid II Series and is identifed as an excellent investment. Amana has been known as the best Mfr when it comes to fridges, however, I have seen many posts of Terrible KA Customer Service, Repeated Repairs and very unhappy customers who say they'd never buy a KA again. Most of my research has shown that it has been the side by side and built in refrigerators that have failed these customers.

On the flip side, Amana has also suffered from the same problems, though not consistently. Apparently there have been incidents of bad batches of compressors and defrosters as well as electronic thermostat failures depending on the model.

GE on the other hand has been known for flimsy quality applicances. They used to be wonderful but like everyone else, they just don't make them like they used to... I see just as many dissatisfied customer posts on the GE as I do the KA. I am hearing that GE is making strides in improvements in their quality, but not sure as to how much.

This is where I can use your help!

Would everyone who has either a KitchenAid or GE Profile French Door Refrigerator kindly answer the following questions so that I can make a final decision and purchase this plese!! I've made up my mind between these two, so although I appreciate the alternatives, I need to focus on just these 2. Thanks!

1) Which Model of French Door fridge do you have?

A) KitchenAid Architect I or II

B) GE Profile

2) Why did you decide on this particular model over another?

3) How long have you owned this fridge?

4) How many repairs have you had done to it?

5) What was the most costly repair?

6) On a scale of 1 (Bad) to 5 (Awesome): How would you rate your fridge?

7) If you had to do over again, would you choose something else and why?

Thanks very much! Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

~Brant_IX

Comments (8)