SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

Wouldn't you think...?

lindac
14 years ago

Sometime back in July or so...I got an email from "cousincathy" stating that her brother's son plays college football and she and her brother and his wife would be coming on a road trip to my state and they would be coming to see the game and would like to see me again, and would like me to direct them to their grandparent's graves and show them the farm where they lived.

NOW...keep in mind this is a cousin of my husband's which he had seen twice and I have seen twice also. Their fatehr is sort of the black sheep of the family, having a child out of wed lock who's mother died of related child birth 2 weeks later. He left that child with a brother who adopted her, went half way across the country, married and had 6 more kids and never came back here but for his mother's and brother's funerals.

Lots of emails saying how they were looking forward to spending time with me....but as time went on and I didn't offer "my hotel" it got down to meeting for "dinner or something". I have no idea where the grandparents are buried nor which farm they were talking about as they were hired farmers and lived on several and ran a hardware store after he got too old to farm.

So anyhow Friday before the ball game, they called stating that they were about an hour away and could we meet for a glass of wine or something....and I said come here, I'll pull something out of the freezer and fix dinner...I knew it was the right thing to do even though they weren't my relatives they were my late husband's.

So I scurried like mad, pulled out some chicken breasts, rolled them in mustard, rolled in my own seasoned bread crumbs, washed some little potatoes, seasoned and oiled..got out some home made bread, broke up greens...set the table....and they were here.

I wined and dined them, showed them all the old family photos I could find, told them all I knew about the rest of the family and what I remembered of their grandmother, and they left after about 5 1/2 hours and 5 beers a bottle and a half of wine and a good hurtin' on a bottle of bourbon....and you all know I drink Scotch !

Wouldn't you think that after a week and a half I might have gotten an email thanking me for a good time....or at least for my time?

I am debating just ignoring them like I have done for the past many years, or sending an email in another week "wondering how your trip home was...sorry about the loss your football team endured....etc etc."

Waddya think?

Linda C

Comments (9)