SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanner_gw

Need to vent

jeanner
17 years ago

I am so sick of trying to hire contractors to do work. Either they don't answer your call or they don't show up when they are supposed to or they have hidden costs or the work is sloppy.

We like to do as much as we can ourselves but time is always an issue and my husband still suffers from chronic pain from two hip surgeries so we are having to hire contractors when necessary.

My lastest frustration was getting wood floors and carpet installed. Five years ago we had some wood flooring installed and I went with a local company that had been around for years - they had a decent reputation but not what I would have considered top end. I had a wonderful experience with them, the installers were professional and did a beautiful job, no extra costs involved and never had a problem with their work. They went out of business a few years ago. With so many businesses folding and having had a problem several years ago with another business that folded right after they had my money but never delivered the goods, I decided to go with one of the "big box" stores.

What a mistake! After six weeks I am still waiting for them to finish the work. The salesman did not write up the contract as I requested so that caused some issues with the installers on two different occasions, namely moving the refrigerator (see below). Shame on me for not having him specify that in the contract but according to my lawyer brother-in-law they broke the law by not including it in the contract. After the contract was done, the salesman informs me that I have to pick up the wood. Huh??? Or be charged a 50.00 delivery fee. On top of that the salesman insisted that I needed roof felt to put under the wood floor, even though the estimator did not include that and it is to be laid on vinyl. And of course, I have to pick that up too.

The wood installers left scuff marks all over the walls, one wall was a total mess. But since the salesman omitted that I had requested that they move the refrigerator in the contract, we made a deal that if they would move the refrigerator I would re-paint my just painted walls. First of all, what the heck am I supposed to do with a refrigerator for two days while they install flooring? I think I never should have made that agreement with the installers but I was really trying to make this whole installation process smoother. And the roof felt, they had no idea why the salesman insisted I needed it so of course I had to take it back!

After the wood installers leave I notice that the top nails show. I know it is standard practice to top nail the last few rows since they can't get to it with the nail gun but the previous installers used nails with small heads that you can't even see. I call and they say they will order wood filler for me. Now I HAVE to go around and fill the holes. I personally think it's going to be noticeable but am willing to wait and see. And I really would rather do it myself so I don't have to take time off from work to have them do it. I'm not sure what to do about the few places where they top nailed with STAPLES! I have called four times about getting the filler and am still being told that it is on back-order. Just let them try and charge me for this filler.

The carpet was installed a month ago and I am still waiting for them to come out and fix it. Where the carpet meets the wood transition stips it is just laying there, it is not in the tack strips, you can pick it up with your fingers. As of right now, the seams still show - is that normal? They are due to come out on Friday after 5 calls to get it scheduled.

They have these customer service reps who keep calling and asking if I am satisfied with the carpet installation and I keep telling them that I am STILL waiting for someone to come out and fix it. Wouldn't you think they would KNOW that? What really got my dander up was when one of these customer service reps shows up during the carpet installation and I found her wandering around in my basement! The installers were not down there, what the heck was she doing??

I know that in the overall scheme of things, that these issues are small - I've heard of bigger nightmares. But geez, does it have to be this hard????

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths