SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Need opinion of Painter I hired - need to vent!!!

suel41452
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We recently hired a painter/remodeler who agreed to do a carefully prepared written list of tasks I emailed to him. We agreed on a price for all the work.

(I've learned the hard way that talking to contractors about tasks is absolutely a waste of time if they don't make notes. They are nice as pie & nod their heads but when they show up for work they have complete amnesia).

Well, he shows up without bringing a print-out of the list I emailed him. Is it too much to ask for him to come prepared??? So I had to print out the list.

It took 3 days (still have a couple of tasks to be completed). We adapted our schedule to suit him (they worked 2 Saturdays, which was a major hassle for us).

Painter did a lousy job of painting - only did 1 coat, which was a bad surprise.We've had painting done before and they always did 2 coats.

I discovered at least 6 wet paint runs on our new 6-panel doors. I told him about this so he could smooth them out before paint got too "set". He missed half of them. Didn't use drop cloths or painter's tape. He left paint drops & smudges to be cleaned up by us on new doorknobs, tile & new hardwood floors and hardwood steps.

The spackled area on the doorway trim is obvious under the super-thin coat he slapped on. Same for the knobs for the bifold doors, the wood color underneath shows through.

He was in a huge hurry to get everything done and didn't touch up all the dinged places he was supposed to. I'm going to have to do a ton of detail work to complete the paint job so that it doesn't look like a sloppy mess on the edges.

He asked to be paid today and I said (I was SUPER nice BTW) I would rather pay when every task agreed on was completed. He pitched a nasty fit, said he had done extra work that he didn't charge me for (first I heard about that!!!), got really angry I was not trusting him for the work to be finished (we have been burned before by contractors, one ran off the Hawaii & declared bankruptcy leaving us in the middle of a large remodel after stealing many thousand from us and others).

Was I being too "rhymes with witch"? Or was he out of line?

Comments (15)