SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
posersurfer

Help with island vent hood venting through side wall

posersurfer
14 years ago

We are replacing a 20 year old electric range in our newly acquired Lake Tahoe cabin with a Bluestar RNB30-4B and we are struggling with venting options. I am a frequent wok user and often sear meats so good ventilation is a must. The range is located on an island which separates the main cooking area from the dining area. Actually it is in the middle of a "peninsula" which is attached to the side wall of the house. Ideally we would use an island vent hood that vents up straight through the steeply sloped roof (no attic).

The catch is that we are located at the base of a ski mountain which has incredible snow loads making roof termination difficult. A local civil engineer says to meet code, a roof in our valley must bear an incredible 400 lbs. per square foot so a simple roof jack will not suffice. We have had two different contractors and the local stove installer tell us that venting straight through the ceiling would require a large and complex engineered chimney chase that would cost $6-$10k. Our other option, in my mind, is to custom retrofit an island hood that vents out the side wall 4 feet away from the center of the range. However, the ceiling is 2 feet lower at the potential venting point on the side wall than the center of the hood (sloped roof) and is one foot behind the back of the range. Fabricating ductwork with this cattywompus angle seems challenging, and making the final product blend with our spacious great room with cedar paneling seems difficult. Does anyone have experience venting an island hood through a sidewall? I have never seen this configuration so if anyone has advice, ideas, or pictures it would be greatly appreciated as this has been the most painful part of our kitchen upgrade process a we hope to have it completed in time for a big family Thanksgiving get together.

Comments (2)