SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Using an island vent hood against wall or other ideas? (BS issue)

kaysd
12 years ago

I need help figuring out how to deal with the backsplash ending behind a chimney style hood. The cabinets stop at 8' high, but the vaulted ceiling is about 10' high in the range area. The chimney for the range hood will go all the way to the ceiling, but I want the BS to stop in a horizontal line with the cabinet tops or perhaps a little lower at 7' (my designer recommends stopping at 7' high because there are other design elements on that wall that also stop at 7'). There will be 3-4" of space between the widest part of the hood and the adjacent wall cabinets. We have not decided yet whether the BS will be tile or a large sheet of back-painted glass. I like the idea of back-painted glass to avoid grout lines and for the modern look, but it may be too expensive.

I do not know what to do about the transition behind the chimney where the BS ends and it is just drywall. The BS will be at least 1/4" thick, so there will be a gap behind the chimney the rest of the way up the wall. When I asked my designer how to deal with it, she said we could tile around the hood (instead of behind it) to avoid the transition problem. Of course, that makes it difficult to replace the hood with a different model if I ever need to, and will not work if we use a sheet of glass.

I am wondering if it would work to tile the whole section of wall, and then use an island hood, because then only the lower edge of the hood would be against the wall and the chimney would be several inches away from the wall all the way up? Would that look stupid? I welcome any other solutions you might offer.

Comments (5)