SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raro_gw

rude awakening on vent hoods; other appliance decisions

raro
13 years ago

I thought I was done and at peace, actually quite happy that I settled on a 30" signal yellow Culinarian range. It was to be a win-win with the lower cost and the extra 6" of counter space. And the more moderate less-overwhelming look of the smaller range, perfect for our smallish kitchen.

Then came the rude awakening. In order to get the 6" extra counter space we would need a 30" hood and there are almost no 30" island hoods. (That is the warning and the nugget of useful information for others). Modern Aire will custom make one with costs that rival that of the range itself or, there are two never mentioned companies that make very cheap ones.

The appliance decisions have been gut-wrenching for me. I visited two Lacanches along the way and several regular appliance show-rooms, big-box stores, and countless internet hours. It is odd to say this because it is such a privilege to be able to indulge my fantasy of having an awesome cooking machine but I am actually sad to say that I will have to get the 36" range because it makes more sense simply because of the hood limitations. We will get a Ventahood, again because the island options are way more limited than I thought.

Other appliance decisions

Fridge - Samsung, french door with 2 drawers below (needed this so doors would clear a dining height table next to fridge, only other option was the Liebherr for an additional $2500)

Microwave/second oven - Miele speed oven that I am getting through the appliance dealer at an $800 discount due to a scratch or dent in the rear.

Dishwasher - trying to save money here - going with a KitchenAid

Thankfully I can spill my guts here. You understand. And now that I've vented (so to speak) I can move on to doing my real work that pays the bills.

BTW, I am a humble,very practical cook that likes to make everything from scratch on a daily basis for my family when possible. I have cooked fabulous meals on everything from a 2-burner hotplate (while in grad school) to a French range while vacationing in France.

Comments (10)