SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Help with wireless router and memory order

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

Hi, I was recommended to come here for advice by some of my friends on the Cooking forum, where I mostly hang out.

I would like to order some computer hardware online if possible. I already found the great Web sites for ordering memory based on a search here. Apparently I have 258 or whatever the exact number is, of RAM according to the scan. I would like to buy more RAM because I want to get Photoshop or something like that and start fiddling with graphic images. When I bought my computer I had all that stuff at work and only used my laptop for e-mail and online shopping, but now I use it a lot for working at home--hence wanting a memory upgrade. I have only WORKS on there right now, but I bought PowerPoint and that strains my system as it is.

So my questions are:

Should I get TWO 512 memory cards, and replace out the 258 one, or just get one 512 for the empty slot? I could always get another 512 later. Right now I am only anticipating using PowerPoint and Photoshop, but I may want to later get into Dreamweaver and InDesign or Adobe Illustrator. Actually, I want all of this for Web editing so I'd prefer something a little lower end but still functional.

The second thing is getting a wireless router. My brother got me a wireless modem for my computer for my birthday but I haven't installed it yet. I have a cable modem for my Internet. I'd like to somehow get a wireless router or something or other so that I can move my laptop away from the cable connection which is down in the basement. I hate being forced to always work down in the "cave." So I'm thinking with a wireless router I could use my laptop Internet connection in other parts of the house, right? If so, where can I reaonably buy such a contraption?

Comments (10)