SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetews

Need help- wireless router/ pcmci card?/encryption

thetews
16 years ago

Hi,

I did several searches to see if I could find the answer to this question. I've gotten the answer here before and I thought I'd saved it, but now can't find it.

Last year I gave daughter and son-in-law a wireless router. They've got a very old pc with XP home and an old laptop with xp home. Laptop does not have built in wireless, but does have a PC/MCI slot. Router came with a PC/MCI card. I got it set up for them, with encryption set up, based on advice from here. It involved entering a port id(?) in the browser address bar - numbers like 800.1.1.0, or something like that, and then entering the encryption numbers on first the PC, and then the laptop. At least I think that's what I did. Memory isn't so good. Daughter's PC/MCI card died (no internet access and no light on the card any longer). I had another card here at the house, so I put the card in her laptop. I did this here at my house, where I have no encryption (far away from other houses, road, etc) set up, and her laptop could access the internet using my connection. But at her house she can't, because of the set up encryption.

So my question is - How do I access the encryption on the PC to either get the current key, or to change it, and then how do I set up the laptop?

Sorry for the long spiel before the question.

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm supposed to go over there tomorrow to help her.

Alice

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH