SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
polarprincess

Confused about Router/Wireless stuff

polarprincess
14 years ago

i have a new computer in my dell cart and am going to order a laptop too, but i am stumped on a couple things. We want our whole system to be wireless. My current computer is an old Dell with XP probably about 7 years old, or right when XP came out whenever that was. I do not know if it is wireless capable. How do i find out and what would i need to buy to make it work with the wireless network? Which computer needs to be plugged into the DSL Modem/router or doesn't it matter?

Anyway, to make my new computers wireless, do i have to order the wireless PC-NCLe card for an extra $60.00 or will a router be enough to use at home? If i want to use the laptop for wifi at a motel would i then need this wireless integrated card?

For my router, i am confused whether i want a G a G+ or an N router. I noticed that the wireless printers come in G or N- so i am assuming if i order the N printer then i need to also have the N router, but how do i know if my computer itself will be compatible with either router?

Do i need a separate router for my printer or will they all be compatible together? I am assuming they will be?

I realize i can probably find the answers to all of these questions on this forum, but i am at work so have to make this quick. Thanks

Comments (6)