SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indy452

Advice with router issue

indy452
16 years ago

I need some sound advice about the Linksys wired dsl router I bought.

I decided to go with a wired router because I thought it would provide a better connection in our home. I'm starting to think I should take it back and get the wireless one because of the problems I'm running into with trying to run wires.

My modem and router will be downstairs and I need to provide a connection upstairs across the house. The problem is I have no close ductwork to use from my point to the other point and the ceilings downstairs are all finished so running wire through finished ceilings are impossible without tearing out ceilings which I'm not going to do.

I actually thought I could do this when I was in the store getting this thing. What sort of connection issues will I have with going wireless? I'm concerned because I run Ubuntu on my personal machine and the computer upstairs is windows xp.

Or should I work out the wire issues and figure another way to do it. Or ditch the wires and go the easy way out with wireless? I really don't want to move my workstation to compensate for some wires, any advice from anyone who has done it themselves?

Thanks for reading and feel free to post your thoughts or ideas.

Neal

Comments (11)