SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie_kim63

ISO Advice re: Corian Bench Slope Issue

Julie K
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

@Joseph Corlett, LLC thank you for commenting on my prior threads! Prior link on Corian shower installation issues and Prior link on our shower design.

Our contractor built our shower bench with the proper slope (1/4" per foot). However, due to installation mistakes by our Corian installer, we now have a 1/16" slope on our bench. The installer's attitude to date has been pretty much, "too bad, too sad." Seriously disappointing given what we're paying them!!

The installer claims they merely covered the bench as constructed, and our contractor built the bench incorrectly. However, photos clearly show pencil marks with level marks/slope on the 2x4. The second photo shows a 2x4 with the backside narrower on one side. I've also attached before/after photos which show the bench with gray coving and then the bench with white coving.

Is it possible to fix the slope on our bench? I spoke to our Neolith installer who was at the house last week for our counter installation. He agreed the slope was insufficient, especially if we don't want standing water on the bench top. Yes, we know we can squeegee the top but this is our forever home and not sure why we have to live with something we didn't specify due to installer error?!

Our Neolith installer suggested adding/applying another thin layer of Corian across the entire bench surface in order to get the correct slope on our bench. They agreed that I needed a bigger slope if I don’t want water to sit on top of the bench. That said, we need a specific minimum distance between the bench top and our Dorenbracht shower massage heads (i.e., the three items on the shower wall above our bench).

One reason we don't want a 1/16" slope is because that's what we have in our shower niches in our guest bathroom and we HATE it!!! Water just sits inside the niche and we get yucky pink stuff in the corners that are difficult to clean. We repeatedly told the installer and measurer that we didn't want a repeat in our primary bathroom, which is why they made sure to use a 1/4" slope in our shower niche.

Is there a fix for our slope problem and if so, what? The installer is returning to our home on Thursday, January 13, to review the bench installation with us.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert