SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

ISO coffee table

Sueb20
13 years ago

I haven't been happy with my coffee table for a long time! DH likes it, so I may have a hard time convincing him, but I have been letting him have his way with our sofa, which I'm also not happy with, so if I let him keep his big leather sofa, I'm thinking I can convince him to replace the table! I like the idea of an ottoman, but so many of the ones that are coffee-table appropriate are also really big and square, which doesn't work for my room. The table that is here now is about 44" x 28". The length is okay but the depth is the problem. When you walk through the room, you have to veer around the table. I think something like 22"-24" would help a lot, even though it's just a few inches. Also, a less boxy table would work too -- an ottoman with legs, or a table with legs and little or no storage. We don't need this much storage, although if we used a regular table (rather than ottoman) a drawer or two would be nice to have.

So here is what we have now:

Note that I didn't prep the room before the photo so ignore the little messes and that mess in the left back corner. DH just stuck that shelf in there, waiting for him to hang it on the wall.

I keep looking at the PB ottoman in the link below, but I'm thinking the pattern is going to be too busy with my rug.

Close-up of my rug:

The reason I thought an ottoman would work well is because we use the coffee table mostly as a footrest! If we have a drink, we put it on the end table(s).

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: PB bench

Comments (29)

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Agreed about the PB bench being too much pattern with your rug.

Maybe you could go with an oval table to soften the lines. We replaced a larger rectangular table with a leaner one with a less angular shape. It is not quite oval, but not a rectangle. I'd call it a hybrid, lol. It has a glass top, so no drawers unfortunately.

I ordered it online and knew it would be a little smaller, but was shocked when I saw how much smaller. It has been a few months and I have to say, the smaller size gives us all so much more room to maneuver. The old one was a little better for folding laundry as I had more room on top, but now I just make an extra pile or 2 on the floor and it works fine.

It also has its base underneath which our last one didn't. The old one was solid wrought iron and the legs were at the corners (like yours) and the metal was the frame with a large glass insert. The current one is glass only on the top, so if you bang into it, the bruise is less severe. It also gives more leg room because the sides are further under and not right to the edge of the table. While the new one is also wrought iron, it is a lot lighter and the design works better.

You could get another wood table to make dh happy yet with a different configuration and size, it will be a whole new ballgame.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought about oval too, but they are soo hard to find! A rectangle with softer edges might work too.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    13 years ago

I found a narrow one at Home Goods. I also use mine as a foot rest. I like it because it's light weight and easy to slide around where I need it.

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Oval tables aren't THAT hard to find. I found one on the o( for awhile we weren't supposed to name that store...not certain if that prohibition is still in place) linked below. Inexpensive, as well. Macy's has one...just google "oval coffee table". LOTS o' choices.

Here is a link that might be useful: oval coffee table

• mjsee
    13 years ago

And...who knew there was a website dedicated to nothing BUT coffee tables? Also linked below...for your convenience!

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee table showroom oval choices

• mjsee
    13 years ago

good grief...they even have three oval upholstered cocktail ottomans!

Here is a link that might be useful: oval upholstered coctail ottomans

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Okay....so your going to think I'm crazy - I just went to Walmart. com & searched for storage bench. Some of them would be easy to reupholster if a fabric didn't suit you. Most seem to be around 18"D which might give you more walking around room.
    Smiles:)

Here is a link that might be useful: walmart....

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I would opt for a glass or partially glass coffee table to lighten the look of the room, which is somewhat heavy now with the leather sofa. We have one in the living room and another in the family room and constantly put our feet on them. The one in the FR has a second level on the bottom, about 3-4 inches off the ground where we have stacks of books. Both levels have chrome surrounds which give the table a sturdy look so you feel comfortable putting your feet up. It's lasted forever and looks great on our Persian rug and really gives a more contemporary edge to a room that has a long couch and several large pieces of wooden furniture.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mjsee, I guess I should have said it's hard to find an oval table that I actually like! I looked at the site you linked, didn't really like anything there. I am usually drawn to more 'square' furniture like Mission, Shaker, etc... so it would take a certain type of oval table to turn me on, I guess.

Scooby, thanks. At this stage in our lives, and I am so trying not to sound like a Furniture Snob, we are trying to buy furniture that we love and will last and will feel like "real" furniture if you know what I mean. We have bought a lot of cheap furniture over the years and replaced it way too frequently. I don't want to say money is no object, but I don't mind spending some $$ on the right table this time around.

Okay, so now I'm thinking glass and metal -- no wood -- could be an interesting choice since we have sooo much dark wood in the room. How about this one? The size is right.

Here is a link that might be useful: C&B glass table

• mjsee
    13 years ago

I like it...I love the lines. I'm not certain it won't get "lost" next to that sofa. Also--do you want something you can put your feet up on?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Are you thinking I can't put my feet up on this table? I'm not being facetious, I'm serious. It looks pretty sturdy.

I actually realized that I have a bench elsewhere in my house from C&B that has a very similar style to this table (the frame, anyway). The frame is quite substantial -- "chunky" as opposed to delicate. I may actually park the bench in front of the sofa and see how it feels.

I have no objectivity in my own house! Ask me to pick furniture for someone else... no problem!

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Sueb20---I was concerned about the glass getting scratched. I have NO experience with glass topped tables.

• rockmanor
    13 years ago

I very much like the look of the C&B table you linked. However, I would not find it comfortable for putting up my feet. YMMV. Something I would consider if I could not find a suitable bench/ottoman is to replace the glass top with a piece of plywood cut to fit that I padded, wrapped and covered in upholstery fabric. Then I'd have the preferred metal leg style and a comfy place to rest my feet plus that glass shelf below as a bonus.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

One of our coffee tables (the one with the chrome surround) is inherited from my family and is at least 35 years old. The styling is so classic that it looks contemporary. Anyway, after all that time, no scratches, and as I write, my husband who is sitting next to me has his feet on it!

• les917
    13 years ago

I think the PB bench concept is nice, but you could create that look with any bench, a little padding, and some upholstery weight chenille fabric. One thing I think you do need to check is how high or low the piece needs to be when you are sitting down, to be comfortable.

Also wondering if this is the only room arrangement that works for you? Perhaps by changing the furniture placement you could reduce the obstacle course issue.

Lovely rug!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Les, there is literally no other way to lay out this room unless I were to get rid of the TV, which isn't happening. It looks odd in the picture because it appears that those 2 chairs at the end of the room face each other directly, but that's not normally how it looks. The chair on the left got moved because it's propping up the shelf on the floor that's waiting to be hung, and the chair on the right got 'swiveled' but normally sits on the diagonal in that corner. Still not an ideal layout, but it's the best we can do in this room.

I always feel the need to explain my crazy lime green leather chair... not that anyone commented... but it was an impulse buy from a salvage/discount store. Dirt cheap, real leather, a good brand. It looks a little wild but I've balanced it with a lime green patterned seat cushion on a chair across the room, and I'll never convince my family to part with the green chair now because it's the most comfortable seat in the house!

rockmanor, interesting idea. Actually before I saw your post I was thinking if I didn't like the glass, maybe I could replace it with a piece of wood or even stone.

I'm not normally a glass table person but I really do like the C&B table. I'm going to look at it today. My concern is that glass/metal isn't "warm" but I think with a few books stacked on the bottom, and maybe a rustic basket, I'll like it a lot.

• boysrus2
    13 years ago

Your lime green chair gives your room something unexpected. Fun and whimsical. The artwork on that side of the room also caught my eye. Sorry no advice on a coffee table, but I like your room.

• gwbr54
    13 years ago

It's hard to tell from your photo, but the navigation problem around the table possibly could be solved by a more narrow entertainment unit. Entertainment units tend to be quite deep, but the way TV's and related have shrunk, most of the time you need something only 12-inches deep.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, this shelf unit is only about 16" deep so I don't know if I'd find anything much more shallow than that. Our cable box is about 13" deep.

I'm going to try the glass table, and also move the little bench/stool that I have sitting by the fireplace (little light green thing sitting next to the TV shelf). I think creating a few more inches of walking space, in addition to using a glass table rather than a big dark wood box, will help a lot.

boysrus2 -- thanks! The artwork is by Mary Bourke if you want to look her up. We love her work. I'd cover my house in her paintings if I could afford it!

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i really like the looks of the glass and metal table, but i don't think i'd be happy with it's comfort level...i'd like to be able to put my feet up.

i think you're on the right track thinking about an upholstered bench---i don't think the PB one is the right choice. check out frontgate--i've considered 2 of their benches(haven't bought either yet!)- they have the sutton and the madison in different upholstery choices...something along those lines might be more comfortable for you...

• katrina_ellen
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I love your warm colors. I was just wondering what color is on your walls if you don't mind me asking? I really like it. I don't have a suggestion for the coffee table except along the lines of what you already know - it needs to be narrower for the traffic flow.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

katrina, that is the famous Sherwin Williams Blonde! (I say 'famous' because it's a very popular color on this forum!) I love it too.

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

The nice thing about a two-level coffee table is that you can keep the things you use on the lower shelf...and with that very attractive C&B table, you can make cushions that live on the floor under it, and put them on top for your feet-up times.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bronwyns... brilliant! As a matter of fact I just ordered some yummy velvet pillows in apple green.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Sueb....That's why I said your gonna think I'm crazy!! I was just thinking the sizes were good & easily reupholstered for something for feet!! I wish I hadn't spent what I did on my upholstered ottoman in my den & gone cheaper b/c now I feel married to it.

The C& B glass/metal table is very nice looking. It just depends....I know when I had a glass table I had to wipe it down daily & with an ottoman (this is bad) it's just vacuumed once a week (maybe)!

Smiles:)

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

Pottery Barn also has a nice metal and glass coffee table you may want to check out. Tanner is the the name of the line.

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Love the C&B table. First thoughts were the same as Ingrid's. The glass would be a great choice because it would lighten up the heaviness of the room and show off that beautiful rug you have. I always like glass table with patterened rugs. As a matter of fact it's one of the only rules I have with decorating. What's the sense of having a pattern rug if you are not going to see it to it's fullest potential and beauty?

Our FR cocktail table is glass topped. My husband puts his feet on it. It's 3 years old and we don't have any scratches even with the ocassional romp one of my cats takes through the room.

I find dust shows more on my solid wood tables then my glass tables.

• always1stepbehind
    13 years ago

I'm loving this post because I was considering a metal and glass table too...but my big issue was not being able to put my feet up like a wood coffee table...that is my only hesitation...

I love the look of the glass and the rug showing through, especially Sueb20's rug..gorgeous.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I have a large, square coffee table that I'll never get rid of, no matter what style of furniture is there.

I bought it about 10 years ago, and some of the corners have been chewed by a puppy. lol.

It's French Country, cream colored, with a maple top. It has two deep drawers in front, and one deep drawer which faces the sofa.

I use it as my "morning desk" when I need to pay pills, etc, while I'm watching the morning news. Plus the drawers holds everything I need.

I plop my feet on it all the time, it's even beginning to show wear on top which makes it even better! I sometimes sit on it too.

So maybe a cream colored coffee table would help lighten up the room, give you storage, and a place to put your feet at the same time?

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH