SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waldstein_gw

Pro-style range hoods: best place for controls --inside or out?

waldstein
16 years ago

I have been shopping for a 36" pro-style wall-mounted range hood pulling at least 900 cfm. I am surprised to find that most of the top brands have switches and speed controls mounted inside the front or side of the hood rather than on the outside where they can be easily seen and manipulated. Inside controls would seem to be highly undesirable because the user must stoop down awkwardly to see them and because they would probably collect oil, etc. from the cooking underneath. My architect and wife also prefer outside hood controls, yet only Thermador, Jenn-Air, and GE Monogram seem to have them (not counting any with optional wall-mount switch kits). I have tentatively specified one such hood, Jenn-Air JXT9036CDP for this reason only, but I wonder whether inside controls on the top brands are really so bad. What is the experience among the master chefs on this forum?

(I made a more verbose query along these lines last August 4, but I am now revising the question and title in hopes of getting broader feedback.)

Comment (1)