SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cloud_swift

Surgery tomorrow

Cloud Swift
15 years ago

I haven't been posting much on the cooking forum for the past few weeks. I got a call back from my mammogram for an ultra-sound and then a biopsy. Shortly after Labor Day, I learned that it was cancer. Since then I've been spending time learning what my options were and hanging out on a breast cancer board so I haven't had time to keep up with the cooking forum. I had a meeting with the surgeon the next week. He scheduled surgery for tomorrow.

Gardengrl's vanilla pear cardomon jam cheered me up by arriving at one of the worst moments. Just before I got the mammogram, I had an endometrial biopsy (which turned up negative so that's okay at least). The jam arrived when I didn't yet have the results from the first biopsy and had just found out that the mammogram had something that needed further investigation. She sent the cutest card that arrived just after the biopsy and I just got back from a business trip to find another card.

I probably won't be posting much for a bit but you may see me asking about foods that are easy on a chemo stomach soon. :^(

Comments (68)

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Oh dammit. I am thinking of you and sending all my good thoughts and vibes.

Every day I hear stories of total recovery at the cancer center of the hospital where I work. Sometimes it just turns out to be a minor blip on the radar screen of life. I hope that's how it turns out for you.

How wonderful that gardengrl sent Happy Jam at just the right moment!

Hugs and kisses.

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Cloud, I am sending prayers for quick, pain free healing. May the chemo go quickly and easily too, with a minimum of discomfort. Hugs are being sent for some emotional support as well. May G-d guide the hand of your surgeon and all of your medical providers. Please check in when you can. ((((Cloudswift))))
    DONNA

• Related Discussions

My dog is having surgery tomorrow.

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you all so very much. I got to bring her home yesterday afternoon. She was still very groggy and didn't want to get out of the car, so I sat with her in the car for a couple of hours until DH got home. He lifted her out and put her on our bed. She's getting some serious pampering. We should have the results of the biopsy by Monday, and on Tues she will have the stitches taken out. I was a wreck yesterday....
    ...See More

Surgery tomorrow

Q

Comments (22)
    Thanks all for your kind words. Lydia, I'm checking out that site, for sure. It's already marked as one of my FAVs. Dottie - do take care. Hugs to you and the family as you are going through this. You have my thoughts and prayers. For the rest of you - piece of cake!! Well, excet for the anesthesia making me think I can do things that I really can't. I think I hold the worlds record for holding a glass of water without spilling it!! I would grab the glass and look up a half hour later and it was still in my hand. For some strange reason I have a lot of muscle soreness that surprises me. Why would that happen - I hope I didn't fight anyone during surgery. The surgery site is fine though. Anyway, I'm back and can almost get back in that saddle. For now, I'm soaking up the sympathetic family members that have stopped by to help - LOL. Thanks guys - KTrs are great!. gneegirl
    ...See More

Going for surgery tomorrow

Q

Comments (14)
    Good wishes for a safe journey and for a good result in the operation, plus a reasonably pain-free and early, uneventful recovery. ole joyful
    ...See More

Surgery tomorrow

Q

Comments (71)
    Im playing phone tag with the dr right now. All I know for sure is what the voice mail said which was that they have good news for me and that I should call the office. I don't know why nobody actually answers the phones anymore. You have to leave a message and wait for a call back. I am totally not worried but would like to hear the words. I do have an appointment with the surgeon on Dec. 7. Again thank you all for the thoughts and good wishes. Its been a long couple of weeks.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    15 years ago

Cloud.....don't borrow trouble! How do you know you will be facing chemo? And why do you think you won't be hanging around here? I was back about 4 days after a mastectomy and lymph excision...That was 10 years ago next month!
    3 of my best friends are survivors, one 17 years, another 16 years and the 3rd 6 years.
    Chemo's not fun, but it's not the worst that can happen....I just wore my wig ( and got many compliments on my new shorter hair do too! LOL!) and carried on....I ate out, Iw ent to bed early and often took a nap, Iw as president of a local charitable group during that time and never missed a meeting, from one where I said Iw ill be going in for surgery next week, to the one a month later where I said...well I had my first chemo yesterday!
    Hang around here.....we'll keep your mind off of your troubles!
    Linda C

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Hey CS sweetie I hope your surgery went as well as can be expected and I hope you know that I am praying for you and you're in my thoughts. One of my best friends is a cancer survivor and I know it is a tough row to hoe, no two ways about it, but we are rooting for you and are here for you! Geeze, how many garden metaphors can I shove into one sentence?!
    :)
    One day at a time, don't try to go it alone, keep us posted!
    Lpink

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

I'm home from work and checking in to see how you're doing after surgery. I'll be away for a couple of days, but I'll check in as soon as I get home and back to the computer. I'll keep thinking about you, though!

Sally

• fearlessem
    15 years ago

Oh Cloud -- I'm so glad you posted so we can all be keeping you in our hearts and prayers... Hope the surgery went smoothly and that your recovery will be swift... Sending a big virtual hug...

Emily

• jimtex
    15 years ago

Hey Cloud, hang in there. You'll beat it. They are very good at stopping breast cancer in it's tracks nowdays. Please check back in when you get home.
    James

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just a short update and apology for not posting earler. The surgery went well. I was at admitting at 6 AM and left for home at 10 AM. The pain pills made me pretty sleepy earlier and then I spent some time with my family, especially my baby granddaughter because she was worried about touching me. She had been told I was going to have a "big oowie" and wouldn't be able to pick her up, so I needed to spend time with her to reassure her that I was okay and she relaxed after a while to being appropriately careful but not looking so worried.

It doesn't hardly hurt anymore - mostly it is just that the dressings are annoying, but I think I'll take a half pill before bed just in case.

They had warned that the after effects of anesthesia might make me quesy, but I haven't had any trouble and just had a nice, easy dinner of grilled chicken boneless skinless breast sprinkled with Penzy's Singapore spice mix and potatoes and carrots with paprika and herbs.

Linda, based on the biopsy results, I expect to need chemo. The analysis of the cancer cells showed it to be moderately aggressive and Her2+. Her2+ cancers left to themselves are very aggressive but there is a targeted drug that works very well against them. And I decided I wanted to conserve the breast so I got the lumpectomy which means I'll need radiation. But I will get some more results from the surgery and will check on my risk with and without chemo after I get them.

I'll also be trying to keep up working full time during radiation and chemo so I may need to conserve energy and rest so I expect to have to simplify my cooking for a few months during chemo and not have much time for reading and posting on the cooking forum. But I expect to be back more often when treatment is over.

Of course, there are many different chemo drugs and the extent of the side effects depends on the person so maybe it won't be that bad. I'll just have to see.

• BeverlyAL
    15 years ago

Thanks for checking back in and let us know how you are doing Cloud. I'm glad things went as well as they did and sorry you will have to have chemo. Just glad there is chemo that will help. I hope your side effects won't be bad. Do you know when they will be started?

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Cloud, I was so happy to see that you posted after your surgery. It sounds like everything went well, and I'm praying so hard that you will have a minimum of pain from the incision.

Herceptin is a wonder drug for Her2 positive tumors, and it sounds like you'll be starting on that one, or one like it, ASAP. From what I remember with my MIL, there were little to no side effects from the Herceptin, at least for her. I hope it will be the same for you. As far as the radiation went, mom was tired from it, no doubt, and her skin was tender for the six weeks that she was taking the radiation. But for the peace of mind it offered (substantially less risk of local recurrence), it was worth it.

We're all pulling for you Cloud, and wishing you a full recovery ASAP. Please take it easy on yourself, and get help around the house, as well as emotional support too. I hope you fly through the chemo and feel well during it. There are many medicines available to help minimize the effects of chemo, and take them when they are offered. We have many survivors here that can say more helpful things than me, but I just want you to know that I'm thinking of you. Take care, Cloud.
    DONNA

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Cloud Swift, I'm just checking in here to see how you are doing, it sounds like you're OK for the time being.

I agree, get as much help as you can with the house, the cooking, whatever you can get help with. You'll need some strength just to recover from the treatments, I think.

I'm still sending prayers and positive healing thoughts your way.

• mtnester
    15 years ago

CloudSwift, glad you came through the surgery with flying colors! You have such a positive attitude, and it's good that you're planning to get back to work soon and return to "normal" life as soon as possible. It sounds like your wonderful family is very supportive, too (be sure to let someone else cook the dinner for the holidays--you can "supervise" from an easy chair). Hope you will heal quickly and soon feel 100%.

Sue

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

You are amazing!

• obxgina
    15 years ago

I second what Barnmom said!!!! Keep that positve attitude! We are here for you!!!!! Gina

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

CS, I am amazed! You are awesome! Now take care of yourself and check in when you can or if you need an ear. We are here for you.

Peppi

• dedtired
    15 years ago

All that and no whining. What a woman!

• chancesmom
    15 years ago

Wow, you are amazing, and such details on your dinner. I couldn't help but giggle that you gave such details after surgery! Lots of positive vibes headed your way.

janet

• lindac
    15 years ago

High fives to you, sweetie!!!
    Stay ahead of the beast!
    Linda C

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Cloud Swift, I sent a private message (with reference to a name I used to use). Did you get it okay?

• doucanoe
    15 years ago

Cloudswift, thanks for posting.

I am so glad your surgery went well. I wish you didn't have to go thru the chemo, but if it means saving the breast, I'd have chosen the same thing, I think.

Hang in there, we're here for you and sending healing vibes to you!

Linda

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sushipup, I got the message. I haven't been checking that email everyday, but I'll send a reply today.

Thanks everyone for the support. Now I'm waiting for the results from the surgery which I expect by Friday and then an appointment with the oncologist. Friends brought over food Sunday evening so we have plenty to eat without much cooking.

• jessyf
    15 years ago

[Glad to see ya back sushipup, love the name]

[cloud, sushipup is good people. I ALMOST had her staying at my house during a nearby dog show but life got in her way]

• User
    15 years ago

Cloud, I so admire your courage and positive attitude. You can be sure my best thoughts and good vibes will be with you through your journey.

PS: There are easier ways to avoid cooking!!!!

Sharon

• lindac
    15 years ago

I also thought that sushipup was too familiar!!
    Great to see you back!!
    And Cloud....please keep us posted....we care.
    Linda C

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I'm glad you didn't get a lot of discomfort with the surgery. I would like to chime in with something from experience. If you start chemo make sure a nurse or a friend that knows where the nurse is with you with any infusion. We had a couple of bad scares with my wife with Taxol and a related drug who's name I forget (taxotere? or something like that). I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching but if you haven't already done it go to the M.D. Anderson or some other leading cancer centers web site check things out. You'll be a lot better prepared when your doctor suggests treatment. Cloud, I speak from the heart, educate yourself from the atomic level about your situation. It will make any decision about treatment easier.

• compumom
    15 years ago

Sushipup? Hey it's great to "see" you again!

Cloud, I'm amazed at how resilient you are to get back w/ us so soon. Take good care and rest up while you wait. I know that relaxing isn't totally in the cards, but take it easy!

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Cloud, I had a busy day today and will have another one tomorrow, so I'll have to wait to respond. Take care of yourself!

And to the others---yeah, it's me. And we are expecting a new bunch of Sushi pups on Oct 12, if all goes well, keep your fingers crossed!

• centralcacyclist
    15 years ago

Hey there Sushipup! Glad to see you!

• sally2_gw
    15 years ago

Cloudswift, I had to chuckle, also, when I saw you post about your after surgery meal! I wish you all the best during your treatment.

Sally

• jimtex
    15 years ago

I just snapped. Did Sushipup send someone a dancing bee in a swap a few years ago? It's sitting right in front of me.

• sushipup1
    15 years ago

Who, me???? ;-o

• stacy3
    15 years ago

sending positive thoughts your way for good news coming up!

Hi sushipup. :-)

LOL chase.

Stacy

• trixietx
    15 years ago

Cloud, I will be remembering you in my prayers. Keep up the good attitude and I hope your treatment will be easy.

• gardengrl
    15 years ago

Oh Pat, I'm right there holding your hand. Been thinking about you lately.

As Annie would say, "Knockers up girlfriend!" You're gonna get through this with lots of support and all of us rooting for you.

((((HUGS)))))))))

Kathy

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Just checking in, for current news.

Hey, sushipup, I'm gonna want pictures, since I no longer have a pup of my own! Live vicariously, you know.

CS, definitely, Knockers Up!!

Annie

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not much news yet. The doctor had hoped to have the pathology report today but it isn't in yet. I'm really hoping for clean nodes and clean margins because I don't want more surgery. Recovery has been pretty smooth but not pain free. The incision under my arm was hurting more so I went in for him to have a look at it. Its fine - he took off some of the suture strips and it hurts less - I guess they were pulling. Also he said that the area is numb right after the surgery and then after a few days the nerves are healing which is why pain can increase.

I'm trying to decide whether I feel up to making challah today - all that rolling the ropes for the braids.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Cloud , Hang in there this is the worst of it, the waiting for the treatment plan. I am an 11 year BC survivor.
    You go girl!

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Two years out and I agree with Cooper...waiting is the worst. I know way too many people dealing with cancer and I have to say, now that I'm 'educated', I am amazed at what those docs can do.

Good luck, and do set aside time for yourself. Don't try to be superwoman...trust me on that :)

• jessyf
    15 years ago

Don't even think of challah. I'll come up and whup you. HEAL! HEAL! HEAL! Challah later!

Or as sushipup would say, HEEL! Just kidding.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay Jessy, I didn't make challah Friday. But I made it for Rosh HaShanah and it was so very good and so much better than store bought that I'm glad I did. The bread machine does all the kneading and turban challahs for Rosh Hashanah don't take as much work to form as the braids. I plumped raisins and dried cranberries to put in one.

And I got good news from the surgery pathology! Only part of the lump was cancer so I'm stage I. My nodes are clear too.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Hooray, good news! That's just what I was looking for.

Now, heal up, stay strong. Knockers Up!

(Oh, and enjoy the Challah)

Annie

• lindac
    15 years ago

YES!!!!
    So no chemo? Just radiation?
    Linda C

• compumom
    15 years ago

Hurray! Great news to begin the New Year!

• obxgina
    15 years ago

CS That's great news!!Knockers Up!!!!!!Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.. Gina

• lackboys3
    15 years ago

Cloud, your wonderful news made my day! I'm so very happy for you and your terrific test results. May you continue to heal and stay healthy and strong. I was wondering, same as Linda, what's the next step for you? ((((Cloud Swift))))
    DONNA

• mustangs81
    15 years ago

Hey girl, you are an inspiration. I know that the doctors are giving you good treatment but nothing is better to expedite healing than a grandbaby. Things will only get better.

(((Cathy)))

• dedtired
    15 years ago

Oh that is wonderful news. The odds are strongly on your side. I'm so glad to hear it.

• Cloud Swift
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cathy, you are sure right about that. She just melts my heart when I hear her call for me.

I do wish this annoying stinging under my arm from the sentinel node biopsy incision would go away. It's getting better and it should go away after a while. The surgeon says that the nerves get damaged when they cut to take out the lymph nodes. The stinging means they are healing (and at least I don't have any numb spots). That and not being able to take a shower (I'm so tired of sponge baths) make me feel like whining but I hate whining so I try not to.

I'm so glad that they don't have to go back in to take out the rest of the nodes. And I get to take showers again starting this weekend - only one and a half more days! I try to focus on the positive.

And I'm not suppose to pick up my granddaughter for a while (though sometimes I do - I try to be very careful and mostly use my other arm).

Donna and Linda, what is next is to meet with the oncologist which happens next week. And I also meet with the doctor who does the radiation. I'm not sure. My cancer cells have some aggressive features so I think they may still recommend chemo.

With stage I for my cancer characteristics (if I'm using the tools right - I'll need to check with the oncologist), the recurrence risk is still in double digits and chemo cuts that in half (to less than 10%) so I'm thinking that chemo may be worth it to cut down the chance that I have to deal with this again. And it cuts the risk of dying from the cancer in the next 10 years something like from 4% to 2%. So it is around the point where it is difficult to weigh the risks vs. benefits.

I'm hoping that the oncologist can suggest a lower side effect / lower risk set of chemo drugs.

• lindac
    15 years ago

Cloud....chemo is not as bad as it once was....and I am speaking form 10 years ago....things have to be even easier now.
    I was not nauseous...but once when I thought I feel so well, why am I taking this stuff....and stopped taking the compazine a day after chemo...Big mistake!!
    If the oncologist in any wayb recommends whatever treatment, go for it...your mind will rest easier 5 years from now knowing you did everything you could do to prevent recurrence.
    Linda C

• KatieC
    15 years ago

Stage I...yesss! And I'm glad to hear those sentinal nodes were clear. Mine was Stage I also, invasive but not aggressive. The oncologist ordered some genetic tests and said chemo wouldn't help my odds. But I know lots of people who didn't slow down a bit on chemo. They'll give you your options and you'll be able to make an informed decision. It'll be good to talk to the oncologist and then you can get on with it.