SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Help me choose vanity lighting???... pics

14 years ago

We're roughing in the electrical, so all of a sudden I have to decide on vanity lighting! Yikes! The main issue is that it's a SMALL double vanity, so where to put lights and how many.

I definitely DON'T want a light strip above. Lighting must be on the sides, eye level...

It's a pretty small master bath, and the 60" wide double vanity is between the glass shower and the soaking tub. I found a big, cheap mirror at Ikea that's 59.5" wide, and was thinking that would go over the vanity to help make the space feel bigger. But that leaves no wall space for sconces. The local glass store said that the Ikea mirror is probably too thin to cut holes in for mirror-mounted lighting :(

The vanity, at 60" seems maybe too small for three lights. Do you think just two will be OK??

So the options are:

*** Use a slightly narrower 48" mirror and squeeze two sconces in the sides, something like this:

****OR****

***Use a couple of pendants hanging in front of the wider 59" mirror. (I know technically pendants are not allowed be code here...)

something sort of like this:

Sketches of the room:

here's the most recent sketch with the angled shower and the proper sinks drawn, showing two pendants:

here's with three pendants... seems too much doesn't it?

here's an elevation showing the slightly narrower mirror and two sconces instead. I think I prefer the less cluttered look of the sconces (vs. pendants) BUT I am worried that by shrinking the mirror space we're making the already-small double vanity feel even more cramped. What do you think?

Comments (9)