SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samjal

HELP! Problems with the builder, need advice!

samjal
10 years ago

Sorry for the lengthy message!

This is our first time building a home. Back in June we were approved for around $600,000 to build a home. We found the floor plan we wanted, and started looking around for builders. We went with Builder A. While we were talking to Builder A, we showed him the floor plan we wanted him to build for us, and he said it would be too pricey (around $900,000) and suggested we just go with a custom floor plan. He sent us to his "go to" architect, and we designed it similarly to the original floor plan we wanted. We completely customized it, and added anything we ever wanted in a home, and it ended up being around 6,200 sqft. Builder A said that "If you let me keep the floor plan, I'll just pay the architect for the blueprints." We said sure, because we have no problem with him building the home for another family.

Now, heres where the trouble started. He sent the plan for bidding, and came back with around a cost price of $1 million. We told him its impossible for us, but we'd like to stick to our floor plan that we have now. So he says, he has a plan to get the price down to our budget. WHAT DOES HE DO? He literally showed us a Moranda home plan with some extras, and goes "its everything you wanted! 6 bedrooms, a large living room, first floor master, and I an get it for about $700,000!" KEEP IN MIND we are building this home in COLUMBUS, OHIO where a 4000 sqft Moranda home costs $160,000.

We were so fed up with all of this bull, and informed him politely that we were having a family friend (Builder B) do the home for us instead.

He said that fine, but he now owns the floor plan, and he wants $5,000 for his "time" and he will only release the blueprint then. If we pay him the $5,000 we will still have to pay the architect for the blueprint as well, which is $11,400. I am not about to dump $17,000 on a blueprint.

We were told by Builder B that he can do the home for $98 a sqft, and the only way to build that specific floor plan was to change around 30% of the floor plan. The problem is, this is the complete exact floor plan we wanted, and really cannot see us living at all in the home with most of it changed.

Any advice on what to do?

Comments (19)