SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treemanaf

Help building retaining wall on a slope! 1st time builder need advice!

treemanaf
8 years ago

Hello all. First time poster here and I was hoping to get some insight on a project I am working on.

My driveway was narrow so I decided to take down the wall on one side. I removed the wall and dug out most of the dirt and now I am ready to put a new wall up.

I plan on using cinder blocks to make the wall. I was told I should definitely make a footing to build the wall on. Problem is the driveway is on a big slope and I'm not sure how to do a footing like this.

I am going to attach some pictures so you can see what I am working with. I would like the new wall to match the wall on the other side of the driveway as close as possible.

How much footing will I need if using cinder blocks? How deep do I pour it and how wide? I live in RI so I'm not sure how far I need to go down with the frost or if that is even an issue here.

As far as the wall goes should I be using rebar inside of the cinder blocks or can I use some fill inside of the holes? I have seen some videos with small black drain pipes installed, is this needed? There are some free cinder blocks available for pickup on some local trading websites. Should I grab these to save some money or am I better off with buying new blocks?

I would appreciate any tips/tricks or information anyone can give me. This is my first time ever building a wall and I would like to do it correctly without spending a fortune. Anything that will make my life easier? Please assume that I do not know a whole lot. I do have some friends/family who are helping me with this but I would like to go into the project with as much knowledge and understanding as possible.

Comment (1)