SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heathercaddell59

1st time house builder

Heather Caddell
3 years ago

We are in the midst of having plans drawn up for our “forever home” but have never built a house before. My husband and I are having a couple of different opinions that is fundamentally making things hard.

1. when you have your architect going through the initial work through phases of developing your plans, should they be showing you elevations yet? My husband feels like our architect should be doing this from the start where I feel like that comes once we have a better basic idea of the floor plan. We have done some “small things” like rotate stairs that have made major layout changes and I can’t imagine the elevation changes as well.
  2. we are doing a c-shaped house to maximize our amazing views and our master suite is on one side while the upstairs bedrooms, loft etc are over the opposite side of the house (2nd floor sitting above the pantry, MIL suite, kitchen etc). My husbands “one request” is for an office space with 180 degree views accessed from the master side of the house. So it would mean 2 staircases (but then upstairs sides wouldn’t connect). There are a couple options neither of which I love but the only one we can probably afford and actually he likes most is to do a spiral staircase inside our master closet to a small office/lookout point above. Our master closet is huge (20x14’) so we have the room for the staircase but is that just weird? Having a room you can only access from our closet? Technically he does work from home and his job requires some visual inspiration and sanctuary so I get his desire to have “his space”. But I’m thinking it’s going to cost at least $25k to do and will take a huge hit in our budget somewhere where he could easily add it to the second floor on the other side and walk across the house to go up some stairs. Thoughts?

Comments (34)