SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Odds Of Developing Diabetes / Lifestyle Factors

John Liu
12 years ago

I don't know if this is old news, maybe I just haven't tended to pay much attention to this sort of research.

A 200,000 person study attempted to quantify the impact of diet, exercise, weight, smoking, and drinking on a person's odds of developing diabetes.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904900904576552553270065800.html?m od=googlenews_wsj

"Researchers led by Jared Reis, an epidemiologist at the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, grouped study participants into lifestyle categories ranging from "best" to "worst." People in the best category had all five healthy-lifestyle factors, while those in the worst had none.

For diet, people received a score of one to five based on fruit and vegetable consumption, the amount of and type of fat they ate and other factors. Those who scored in the top 40% were considered to have a healthy diet. Exercising three times a week for at least 20 minutes, and being a nonsmoker for at least 10 years were two additional healthy-lifestyle factors. Alcohol consumption of no more than one drink a day for women and two for men was considered as another factor, along with weight. People with a BMI of between 18.5 and 24.9�a body-mass measure that is considered normal�were counted as being in the lowest-risk category for weight.

Dr. Reis said the average study participant had two out of five healthy lifestyle factors.

Overall, researchers found that body mass index had the strongest association among the factors for diabetes risk. When looking at BMI in isolation, men of normal weight were 70% less likely to develop diabetes than overweight or obese men, while normal weight women were 78% less likely to develop diabetes."

The article goes on to discuss the other four factors and their impact on the study subjects' probability of developing the disease.

I initially scoffed at the factoid that the average man in the study had only 2 ''healthy lifestyle'' factors out of 5. Then I realized the same was recently true of me. Yikes, the mirror looms close.

Comments (13)