SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oruboris

Mortgages, appraisals, and finishing up: Guidance needed

oruboris
15 years ago

Here's the deal: we are way behind, partly because some of the jobs I decided to do myself have taken way longer than I anticipated, and partly because my builder has had some very tough health issues.

I've extended the construction loan 3 times, am determined not to do it again [not sure the bank would be willing, anyway].

The appraisal for the mortage co. is scheduled in 2 weeks, no way will we be 100% finished. [Upside, looks like the mortgage is approved pending the appraisal, and the money doesn't change hands till the end of the month. Still probably won't be 100%, but should be very near it.]

For instance, the cabs will be in the kitchen, but the granite won't.

Not all the baths will be done, but the flooring will. Unless my builder gets to feeling better, the sheetrock and doors won't be in the garage, either.

But my locality doesn't have certificates of occupancy, this isn't in a subdivision or incorporated town, and there are no inspections other than electric and sanitation.

I'm looking for a $400k mortgage on a 5500s.f. house that appraised [for the construction loan] at over $800k-- I assume that appraiser was 'projecting' the value when finished.

How worried should I be? If an 'as is' appraisal is comfortably above the mortgage amount, will that do? Or should I find some extra help for jobs my builder may not get to? Which jobs should be top priority-- finishing an upstairs deck [3 are already done], finishing both master baths, or a kitchen as complete as possible?

Comments (4)