SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluedots_gw

Needing the GW experts!

12 years ago

Good Evening Tile Experts!

2 fairly proficient DIYers here (ok, 1 proficient (Russ) and 1 who does lots of research and brings the beer (Becky). We are about to embark on our first tile shower and I just want to make sure that we are doing everything we can to make this installation go well. The plan is to do a mud bed with a kerdi drain and hyrdo-ban as the membrane. I am SO impressed with all the knowledge and expertise here in this forum.

We're on a crawlspace and the wood subfloor is ready to go. I want to confirm I've got the order of things down when building the shower. I've lined it out and put my questions in as I go:

1.Hang CBU. Should this come all the way down to the subfloor or should there be a gap? Which type of CBU do you prefer: Durock, Hardie or other?

CBU taped and mudded with thinset - what thinset would be best for this? Prefer to stick with Laticrete products.

2. Slipsheet of roofing felt - stapled

3. Expanded diamond metal mesh or metal lath (which one?)- not anchored

4. Then setting the drain and mud. We've watched the Schluter video of setting the Kerdi drain in the mud bed - since we'll be using Hyrdoban is there any difference in the way the drain is set - aside from the fact that you don't put the Kerdi on top ;).

5. Ceiling will also be tiled. Was planning on using drywall for ceiling (Should we use CBU?) - should that get a coat of Hyrdoban as well or no since the ceiling is not a wet area?

6. Shower curb - are 2X4's covered in CBU and then the Hydro ban acceptable? I've read SO MANY differing opinions on this!

There will be more questions, I am certain. I so appreciate your help and time. Thanks!

Becky

Comments (16)