SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

Monitor fuzzy, think I need better graphics card - help! (w/pix)

goldgirl
14 years ago

I have two desktop systems. Let me add that I know next to nothing about graphics cards!

The first is an old Dell Dimension (running XP with an ATI Radeon x600 256MB HyperMemory card) that I had hooked up to a Dell Ultrasharp 24" monitor with perfect resolution. I used to do graphic design and have that system loaded with Photoshop, Acrobat, Quark, etc. Still use it for photos and other home/personal stuff.

Last year I went back to school and bought an inexpensive Dell Inspiron 530 running Vista (integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 - display info says "Generic PnP monitor on INtel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family") to use only for that purpose. I moved my 24" monitor to this system because I work with multiple large documents. Didn't worry about the graphics card because I knew I wouldn't be doing graphics stuff on it.

However, when I went to hook up the monitor, I couldn't use the DVI cable (white, see pix below) because the system doesn't have the right-sized connector. Instead, I had to use the VGA (blue) cable. I assume this is because I don't have a graphics card to support it? As a result the monitor is often fuzzy and needs constant auto-adjusting to make text clear.

{{gwi:1482776}}{{gwi:1482778}}

If this is the problem, can anyone recommend a card that will work with my monitor but not break the bank? I'd prefer to buy online and install it myself - there are a bunch of tutorials on YouTube and I think I can manage it or at the very worst, find a friend to do it.

Thanks for your help! This has been driving me crazy.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living