SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellmo_gw

Trim Nail Holes in Finished Millwork - Best Product?

shellmo
15 years ago

Can anyone recommend any nail hole filler product that may work better than DAP (best out of the 3 I've bought so far)? We have laquered millwork, close to a white. The Dap is difficult to work with on the prefinished trim - works well for the holes I've fill on some of the parts (windows) that are primed only, though. I also tried the MinWax white product (not sandable, which would be fine) but it looks grey. I also bought an Elmers filler, which wasn't marked with a color and ended up being wood tone.

Now that we understand how we shouldn't have prefinished the trim, but waited after install, we wouldn't have a problem...at this point I'm trying to get them filled for closing and we may go over everything with a fresh coat of laquer in the future.

Any advice would be appreciated - or a primer on the best way to install Dap in my situation would be helpful. I'm using a small putty knife or my finger and then wiping around it immediately (otherwise it dulls the finish) but it dries quickly and gets crumbly. Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz