SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

best poly for stained interior millwork

johnmari
17 years ago

Hi folks! I originally posted much of this in Home Dec and someone reminded me by email I should ask over here as well.

Situation: Stained oak door & window casings, doors, baseboards, and beadboard wainscoting in master bedroom and bathroom. Will be clawfoot tub and pedestal sink next to said wainscot so there will be occasional water splatters but no major splashing is expected - I'm not a big splasher. Stain is Zar oil-based Aged Varnish (gotta say I loved how the Zar stain handled after many failed experiments with Minwax stains).

Looking for a low-sheen satin finish, I don't go for shine or for dead-matte. Ease of application ("self-leveling" is one of my favorite words!) is a big consideration because our handydude is not what you'd call a really experienced wood finisher. Hiring someone else or DIYing aren't really among our options.

The guys at my favorite paint store recommended Graham Ceramithane water-based polyurethane as an extremely durable topcoat, but I want to hear from other folks too, especially you pros. The Graham does have a little bit of a "plasticky" look to it, although not as much as Minwax Polycrylic. The local Woodcraft store recommends General Finishes "Environmentally Friendly Water-Based" polyacrylic topcoat. Interestingly, no one said word one about Zar's poly even though both stores carried it.

Is an oil-based poly superior enough to be worth the outrageous stink (I've had a headache for four days from just the stain, even with enough windows open enough that we're freezing since it's rarely topped fifty all week) and the slower drying that may collect dust and fluff - we have pets and it's pollen season, so there's the potential for lots of airborne yuck.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm